BIA (Business Information & Analytics) - Sector Specialist Researcher
About the Company
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services Firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 747 offices in 42 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture. Job Details
Morgan Stanley seeks individuals from different backgrounds and experiences as we strongly believe diversity is an opportunity for leading with exceptional ideas. Across all roles, we seek candidates who value honesty, character and diversity to foster an inclusive work environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging, and can partner with colleagues to deliver the best of the Firm to our clients. Professional development is supported through open and honest 360 feedback, career conversations, training opportunities, and mentoring / coaching. Department Profile
Corporate Services provides best-in-class commercial services for the Firm and our employees to enable productivity, efficiency and an enhanced employee experience. We deliver standardized services which can be scaled globally and delivered locally. We have over 5,000 staff managing a multi-billion dollar scope of services including Real Estate and Location Strategy; Real Estate Portfolio and Transaction Management; Property Management; Corporate Travel; Corporate Security & Investigations; Corporate Information Management; Regional Client Services; and Office of the COO. Role Description:
Morgan Stanley Japan Group Co., Ltd. has an opening for an experienced and dedicated researcher in the Business Information & Analytics (BIA) group in Tokyo. The researcher will provide high value, in-depth research as a sector specialist in the energy and natural resources industry. The role supports operations in Investment Banking, Sales & Trading, Research, Investment Management, etc. Candidates with experience leveraging technology to improve business processes including automation and machine learning technologies will also find opportunities to develop and promote the next generation of information services and analytics. Core Responsibilities:
- Conduct comprehensive and accurate market research through third party vendors to inform decision-making. Research typically focuses on Japanese companies and industries but also supports the global network of Morgan Stanley offices
- Collaborate with local and global colleagues, including BPO partners, to deliver actionable insights
- Manage a portfolio of market data and information products, including assessing and recommending appropriate products based on content, value and business trends
- Manage supplier relations for the coverage portfolio in collaboration with Market Data Sourcing and internal business units for new contracts and renewals
- Provide training and guidance to product users about research and information resources
- Build internal stakeholder relationships by understanding strategic objectives and providing solutions. Promote the department’s capabilities and resources to related businesses Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree preferred.
- 3 years of equivalent experience in the financial industry, consulting, think tank, or a similar business environment
- Native level Japanese and business level English. Applicants should be comfortable speaking and writing in both languages in the workplace, conducting research bilingually and collaborating with global colleagues and clients on projects
- Self-motivated with a strong ability to multi-task, prioritize work to meet deadlines, and take initiative on new projects; work independently towards business goals with minimal supervision
- Proficient online and database research skills including familiarity with a variety of industry and financial databases, including but not limited to: EIKON, CapitaliQ, Bloomberg, Nikkei, Woodmac, S&P Market Intelligence, Business Monitor, Datastream, Euromonitor, Factiva, etc.
- Client focused – ability to anticipate needs, address clients’ expectations and cooperate to achieve objectives
- Close attention to detail, with a quality-focused mindset
- Strong oral and written communication skills, able to clearly articulate complex ideas
*Please include a cover letter with your application * Equal Opportunity Statement
“At Morgan Stanley, diversity is an opportunity—for clients, employees and firm. By valuing diverse perspectives, we can better serve our clients, while we help employees achieve their professional objectives. A corporate culture that is open and inclusive is fundamental to our role as a global leader constantly striving for excellence in all that we do." ―James P. Gorman
It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.