Country Head - Operational Risk and Compliance
- Dublin, Leinster, Ireland Dublin Leinster IE
- Permanent, Full time
- Mason Alexander
- 06 Mar 18 2018-03-06
This role is responsible for overseeing and managing the compliance & risk functions within the Irish regulated entity and the associated Branch offices together with being responsible for compliance with FCA rules. Overall responsibility for Irish legal entity risk management function and day-to-day oversight of operational risk
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- To maintain and, where appropriate, develop or revise appropriate policies and procedures for the general operation of the Compliance Programme to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct.
- To devise and maintain the annual compliance thematic and surveillance work plan; amending these where appropriate in response to regulatory developments. To review performance of the Compliance programme and, related activities on a ongoing basis.
- Provide guidance to senior management, business divisions and, employees on compliance related issues.
- Act as the point of contact and interface for the Irish regulator.
- Collaborate with other departments (e.g., Risk Management, Internal Audit, HR, etc.) to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution.
- Consult with Legal and corporate secretariat departments to resolve legal/compliance issues.
- Respond to alleged breaches of rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and standards of conduct and ethics by evaluating or recommending the initiation of investigative procedures.
- Act as an independent review and evaluation body to ensure that compliance Issues/concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated, investigated and resolved.
- Monitor, and as necessary, coordinate compliance activities of other relevant departments to remain abreast of the status of all compliance activities and to identify trends.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develop/implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provide general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
- Ensure the proper reporting of breaches or potential breaches to appropriate regulators/ enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required.
- Liaise with colleagues from US Head Office and other branches to ensure AB’s global policies comply with all applicable rules.
- Responsible for independent risk management function for Ireland and associated entities.
- Coordinate implementation of global risk management policies and infrastructure
- Drive implementation of Error Tracking System.
- Review company business plans. Provide counsel to business unit managers on risk management issues, and evaluate significant transactions and/or capital commitments prior to execution.
- Advocate industry best practice. Establish and enhance company risk culture through training and public relations.
- In conjunction with regional Risk Controls Oversight Committee, formulate and periodically review organisation’s risk management policies.
- Establish risk management procedures and standards, developing risk management analyses and reports, approval procedures and guidelines, including risk maps. Establish management and administrative risk procedures to ensure adherence to policies.
- Produce and execute Risk Implementation Plan.
- Meet regularly with Business Unit leaders to discuss operational risk matters, update risk maps and ensure risk culture is embedded.
- Co-operate and co-ordinate with compliance on system and control issues.
Skills / Experience required
- 5 Years within a compliance/risk role
- A University degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Operations Management, Technology, or a related field is preferred.
- Relevant experience in consulting, strategic analysis, operations analysis & planning which should include significant exposure to financial institutions. Broker-Dealer experience is required.
- Accomplished communication and interpersonal skills and a consultative approach to problem-solving.
- Highly analytical, with keen business acumen and a self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Project management experience.
- Proficiency in PC applications: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, MS-Project, Visio (or similar processing flow mapping application). Familiarity with Database applications is a plus.