Principal Software Engineer
IHS Markit Portfolio Valuations provides an independent, post-trade valuation service to buy-side institutions globally, covering vanilla and exotic OTC derivatives, cash instruments and structured notes across all asset classes. The service also offers clients the ability to receive an aggregated set of counterparty marks for their trades.
Portfolio Valuations (PV) is looking for a strong hands-on Java developer to lead/develop the group's development team in IHS Markit's Noida hub.
The candidate will work closely with global cross-functional teams across Development, QA, Technology, Infrastructure Business Analysis and Project Management., to ensure project deliveries. The candidate will be responsible for managing and delivering technical projects and would be required to work closely with the key stakeholders and technical teams to ensure smooth and timely delivery.
The candidate will be required to have excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong inter-personal, organizational / coordination skills, and hands-on experience in development / technology. The candidate should have prior experience in managing development team and delivering quality work within agreed timeliness.
PV deploys back-end and middleware as a service-oriented architecture, and this is accessed by other tools that we maintain including web applications, web services and desktop add-ins.
As well as delivering software of high quality, candidate needs to work towards the team's goals of high test-coverage, automated and frequent deployment, and regular cycles of code delivery, testing and feedback.
The candidate should be comfortable in a fast paced environment and be flexible to adapt to changes.
Duties & accountabilities
- Take responsibility for the team's deliverables, both in terms of timeliness and software quality ;
- Work closely with the Portfolio Valuations development team in London & Noida, take ownership of various components in the platform, and gain a solid understanding of how these components fit within the overall platform;
- Owns, Implement and maintain various aspects of IHS Markit's Java-based hosted valuations platform, working within a global team of 20+ developers
- Develop new software, and enhance existing software, to high-standards. Adhere to best practices that enhance user experience, usability, scalability, performance and security. Drive technology initiatives
- Ensuring clear communication on status to all stakeholders including regular progress and updates to your manager, peers and leads.
- Establish a productive working relationship with main product stakeholders for these components;
- Work with the Gurgaon, Noida and Singapore Operations teams to support daily processing, and work with them to identify possible improvements to help improve efficiency;
- Work closely with the QA teams in London and Noida through testing cycles
- Resource/Capacity planning, highlighting resource constraints
Education and experience
Degree in Computer Science or related field.
12 + years of experience working on distributed Java platforms
Strong core Java 8 skills (with good understanding of
multithreading and performance tuning)
Comfortable working with both UNIX/Linux and Windows environments
Strong technical and platform knowledge, including some or all of:
- Advanced Oracle \ SQL
- Apache CXF \ Web services
- Apache Tomcat
- JMS, Message Queues
- XML, JAXB, JSON serialization
- Spring, Hibernate
- Distributed applications
- Multithreading and performance
• Thorough understanding of agile software development
methodology and industry best practices.
• Thorough understanding of fundamental software engineering and
computer science principles: object-oriented design, structured
design, databases, algorithms, data structures, usability, refactoring
debugging, and configuration management.
• Excellent design and problem solving skills
• Experience providing architectural guidance and mentoring others
Awareness of financial markets, OTC Derivatives and industry regulation desirable but not essential.
Competence in liaising with stake holders & Managing group of individual contributors
At least 5 years of professional experience of delivering complex enterprise applications
The ideal candidate would be conscientious, self-motivated, have excellent attention to detail, very hard working and prepared to go the extra mile to absorb the necessary business & technical knowledge to succeed.
Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Pro-actively enhance and improve existing / new processes
- Support drive for efficiency/effectiveness
Able to progress multiple tasks at the same time
Highly structured and organised, but able to be pragmatic and implement point solutions to aid delivery.
Must be an excellent communicator both written and verbally.
Provide output that provides clear conclusions.
Communication to be of a high quality within set deadlines
Strong influencing and negotiation skills:
- Able to build consensus/alignment on objectives
- Obtain information from contributors to required deadlines and quality
The candidate must have proven ability to contribute to team projects (e.g. internships, sports, university projects or past employment)
It is the policy of IHS Markit to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, IHS Markit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. For candidates in the US, we are a participant in E-Verify (see link below).
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Right to Work
Pay Transparency Policy
Current Colleagues If you are currently a colleague with IHS Markit please apply internally via Workday.