Associate, Investments Insight
Description About this role
DS&S Alternative Data Implementation Specialist About this role
Elevate your career by joining the world's largest asset manager! Thrive in an environment that fosters positive relationships and recognizes outstanding performance! We know you want to feel valued every single day and be recognized for your contribution. At BlackRock, we strive to empower our employees and effectively engage your involvement in our success.
Business Unit Overview:
BlackRock Portfolio Management Group (PMG) has created a new Global Data Research team focused on alternative, primary and big data, called Data Strategy & Solutions. We are seeking an experienced technical business analyst, with experience in financial services, to contribute to our established primary and vendor data platform and service offering.
This role offers tremendous scope for an entrepreneurial person with a keen interest in data and finance to make a significant contribution to alpha generation across our world class investment teams. You will be working with a team that shares your passion for data and its potential to positively transform the investment landscape. What you will be doing?
- Investigate new trends and business areas, working across a wide variety of industries on a range of topics that are important to the global investment community
- Develop and use knowledge of technology to design innovative approaches to solve data-related challenges
- Create summaries, data visualizations, written analyses, and other presentations of work performed
- Manage time and tasks to meet deadlines for stakeholders in time-sensitive projects
- Participate in internal and external meetings to review results of work performed
- Deliver on day-to-day activities of a project including interaction with other team members and stakeholders
- Transform large structured and unstructured data sets into actionable insights
- Assist in the identification and evaluation of data sources and vendors
- Create new data assets including those sourced through web scraping
- Participate in brainstorming meetings to design, execute, and deliver novel solutions for investment debates
- Partner with researchers to deliver analytical solutions to support investment decision making
Skills required include
- 2+ years of experience in a Data oriented role preferably in sectors like Investments, Banking & Financial Services
- Experience using alternative data to analyze the sectors like ESG, Healthcare, Pharmaceutical, Renewable Energy, Social Responsibility, Biotech, and/or Life Sciences sectors is a plus
- Experience incl. working with large datasets (e.g. in equity or quantitative research, academia, risk or operations, consultancy) is preferred
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college / university; thesis or experience working in a research environment preferred
- Intellectually curious with strong analytic, quantitative, and critical reasoning skills
Other personal characteristics
- Ability to communicate and align priorities across multiple teams with inspiration and authority
- Database experience (SQL, DDL/DML, performance tuning, data modeling).
- Understanding of UNIX/LINUX environments.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment on multiple concurrent projects
- Solid experience doing technical business analysis
- Technical background including working knowledge of at least one of the programming languages SQL, Python, and R
- Familiarity with git, data visualization tools, and web scraping technologies a plus
- Knowledge of Pyspark, Databricks, Airflow, and other leading big data analysis tools a plus
- Unquestioned integrity and the highest ethical standards
- Ability to provide feedback to others in a constructive, assistive way
- Not afraid of failure and demonstrated ability to operate with vague or light client feedback
- Perform diverse and complex tasks with accuracy and a desire to coach others on the same
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, particularly with global colleagues.
- A built-in drive to achieve outstanding results under tight timelines
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.