Associate - Data Engineering
Description About this role Overview-
Data Pipeline Engineers at BlackRock get to experience working at one of the most recognized financial companies in the world while being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technologies and solutions. Our engineers design and build large scale data storage, computation and distribution systems. They partner with data and analytics experts to deliver high quality analytical and derived data to our consumers.
We are looking for data engineers who like to innovate and seek complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, drive, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual. We are committed to open source and we regularly give our work back to the community. Engineers looking to work in the areas of orchestration, data modeling, data pipelines, APIs, storage, distribution, distributed computation, consumption and infrastructure are ideal candidates. Responsibilities-
Data Pipeline Engineers are expected to be involved from inception of projects, understand requirements, architect, develop, deploy, and maintain data pipelines (ETL / ELT). Typically, they work in a multi-disciplinary squad (we follow Agile!) which involves partnering with program and product managers to expand product offering based on business demands. Design is an iterative process, whether for UX, services or infrastructure. Our goal is to drive up user engagement and adoption of the platform while constantly working towards modernizing and improving platform performance and scalability.
Deployment and maintenance require close interaction with various teams. This requires maintaining a positive and collaborative working relationship with teams within DOE as well as with wider Aladdin developer community. Production support for applications is usually required for issues that cannot be resolved by operations team. Creative and inventive problem-solving skills for reduced turnaround times are highly valued.
Preparing user documentation to maintain both development and operations continuity is integral to the role. Adhering to BlackRock's UX and design standards is expected and contributing towards upkeep of those standards is encouraged.
And Ideal candidate would have
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- At least 5+ years' experience as a software engineer
- Experience in SQL, Sybase, Linux is a must
- Experience in either Python or Core Java (Spring Framework)
- Experience with Database Modeling, Normalization techniques is desirable
- Experience in delivering Server Side (back-end) applications built with clean coding techniques
- Experience with object-oriented design patterns
- Experience with dev ops tools like Git, Maven, Jenkins, Gitlab CI, Azure DevOps
- Experience with Agile development concepts and related tools
- Ability to trouble shoot and fix performance issues across the codebase and database queries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with a can-do attitude under challenging circumstances
Skills that would be a plus
- Perl, C++, ETL tools
- Exposure with Workflow management tools such as Airflow
- Exposure to messaging platforms such as Kafka
- Exposure to NoSQL platforms such as Cassandra, MongoDB
- Building and Delivering REST APIs
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, we help millions of people build savings that serve them throughout their lives by making investing easier and more affordable.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.