Analyst / Associate, Collections Data Engineer
Description About this role
Elevate your career by joining the world's largest asset manager! Thrive in an environment that fosters positive relationships and recognizes outstanding performance! We know you want to feel valued every single day and be recognized for your contribution. At BlackRock, we strive to empower our employees and effectively engage your involvement in our success.
Business Unit Overview:
BlackRock Portfolio Management Group (PMG) has created a new Global Data Research team focused on alternative, primary and big data, called Data Strategy & Solutions. We are seeking an experienced technical business analyst, with experience in financial services, to contribute to our established primary and vendor data platform and service offering.
This role offers tremendous scope for an entrepreneurial technologist seeking to learn how data can transform the investment space. You will make a significant contribution across our world class investment teams by working with a team that shares your passion for data and its potential to positively transform the investment landscape. Data Engineer - Development Responsibilities Include:
Collections Engineers build and manage data feeds to support research analysis of stocks, sectors and themes across regions for various investment teams. You will be part of a global team responsible for all aspects of the project lifecycle, from pre-proposal scoping to ongoing quality control and maintenance. You will also promote and maintain a culture of utilizing best-in-class methodologies and tools to execute assignments and innovate to improve our platform's ability to mine the internet.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Fulfil the role as a resident expert for web scraping work
- Demonstrating excellence by producing solutions for difficult collection problems
- Troubleshoot technology problems in the line of collection and delivery
- Showing passion for others and a desire to become a leader
- Work and communicate effectively with Investors, IT professionals, and other colleagues
- Producing assets that other people can follow and replicate
- Keep up-to-date on web developments and related trends
Skills required include:
- Ideally has examples collecting data from sources that were difficult for others
- Cleverness and an ability to unravel technology to discover alternative vectors
- Perseverance and a keen ability to quickly learn how to leverage new technology
- Experience working with and discovering APIs and web services
- Exposure to Scrappy and GCP
- Excellent use of Python and experience with at least one other web collections technology
- Detailed knowledge of modern web site technologies (Angular, AJAX, REST, HTTP, XSS)
- Ability to identify patterns and anomalies in large datasets
- An ability to debug abnormal problems using an HTTP sniffing tool such as wireshark or fiddler
- Some database experience (SQL, DDL/DML, performance tuning, data modeling).
- Good understanding of UNIX/LINUX environments.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment on multiple concurrent projects
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases
Other personal characteristics
- Can gain people's trust and friendship easily
- Gets agitated when subtle details are wrong
- Not afraid of failure and demonstrated ability to learn from past experience
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, particularly with global colleagues.
- Competitive and driven by scoring and winning
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.