VP - Lending/Debt Capital Markets Lawyer
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 25 Feb 18 2018-02-25
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a global financial services firm and a market leader in Institutional Securities, Wealth Management and Investment Management. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. People are the source of our competitive advantage and our franchise is built upon dedicated and talented professionals who consistently set industry standards for integrity, expertise and leadership.
The lawyers and other professionals of Morgan Stanley’s Legal & Compliance Division provide a wide range of services to our business units. They preserve the Firm’s invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the Firm with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the Firm’s businesses.
The role provides legal coverage for the Leveraged Acquisition Finance, Credit Trading Lending and Debt Capital Markets businesses within the Global Capital Markets and Fixed Income business units for the Asia Pacific region. This will include, among other things, providing legal advice in connection with bilateral loans, syndicated loans, acquisition and leveraged financing transactions, high yield debt offerings, and investment grade debt offerings.
In addition to the foregoing, responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with business unit and risk management
- Resolving issues relating to suitability of transactions and external clients, franchise protection and sound management of conflicts of interests
- Assisting with training and preparation of procedures/policies
- Ensuring internal clients and staff are informed of relevant legal and regulatory developments and their implications with respect to your coverage area
- Managing outside legal counsel working on the transactions in your coverage area
- Engaging with colleagues in other offices and regions (e.g., U.S. and EMEA) to ensure consistent practices across the Firm
- Participating in industry working groups
The role will be based in Hong Kong, will involve coverage of transactions across the Asia Pacific region and will report jointly into the Head of Global Capital Markets Legal and the Head of Lending Legal for Asia Pacific, each also based in Hong Kong.
- Finance/Capital Markets lawyer with approximately 4+ years post qualification experience with a top tier international law firm or in-house at an international investment bank
- Strong technical skills in lending and debt capital markets
- Knowledge of US securities law
- First rate analytical skills and the ability to identify and resolve issues in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible, proactive, organized, detail-oriented, team-player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (including legal drafting) in English
- US, UK, HK qualified (other common law jurisdictions considered)
- Fluency in Mandarin a plus