Strategy and Transformation Lead
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations. Job Description
The Strategy and Transformation Lead is an integral contributor to development, governance and realization of Manulife's Strategy across the Asia Segment. This role involves a structured 9-12 month rotation between Manulife's Asia Segment Strategy Team and the Transformation Teams. During the course of the rotations the Strategy and Transformation Lead will have the opportunity to participate in the development of the Asia Strategy, its refinement on an annual basis through the strategic planning process, including the identification and governance of strategically aligned initiatives which will deliver the capabilities required to achieve Manulife's challenging growth agenda.
The Strategy and Transformation Lead will have the unique opportunity to work across the full spectrum of the strategy development to outcome/benefit lifecycle through the rotations with the Strategy Team and the Transformation teams. What motivates you?
We are looking for someone with:
- You obsess about customers, listen, engage and act for their benefit
- You think big, with curiosity to discover ways to use your agile mindset and enable business outcomes
- You thrive in teams, and enjoy getting things done together
- You take ownership and build solutions, focusing on what matters
- You do what is right, work with integrity and speak up
- You share your humanity, helping us build a diverse and inclusive work environment for everyone
Nice to Haves:
- Bachelor's degree with managerial experience in financial services (life insurance industry preferred).
- Previous strategy or corporate development experience working for a multinational company, accounting firm, investment bank, private equity or strategy consulting firm.
- Knowledge of enterprise PMO, PMO governance, and/or investment planning.
- Native English
- Strong PowerPoint skills: ability to maneuver complex information and distil into key meaningful insights and high impact slides to tell a story
- Strong financial modeling skills/data analysis: ability to build complex financial models and translate financial information and actuarial/accounting data into useful and applicable information.
- Project management: experience executing projects by developing deliverables timelines and effectively managing stakeholders. PMP, Prince 2, Management of Portfolios (MoP) and/or Agile qualifications are looked upon favorably.
- Stakeholder management: effectively manage more senior members of the Asia Strategy team/local BUs and other functions (such as Controllers, Tax, Actuarial, Legal, IT and Wealth Management) to provide the deliverables needed to drive projects to completion.
- Communication: excellent speaking and writing skills are required to convey key messages in a succinct manner.
- PowerPoint, Word and Excel: expert skills on PowerPoint with the ability to tell a story and sell a message. Can analyze large quantities of data, generate charts in Excel. Should have the ability to translate what the data is saying into applicable and useful information.
- Flexibility and cultural awareness: willingness and flexibility to travel. Culturally sensitive to work with people of diverse backgrounds in Asia.
- Candidates with less experience will be considered for the Strategy & Transformation Analyst position
On the job you will: Industry and competitor analysis
- Relevant experience in life insurance industry
- Fluency in an additional Asian language is an advantage.
Strategy development, strategic planning and deliverables
- Work with Asia Strategy team, Investor Relations and local BUs to compile relevant market and competitive intelligence profiles to share insights and help the team keep abreast with the external developments. Based on the research completed, is expected recommend a course of action, or set of alternatives, to the overall Strategy Lead and/or relevant business partner for further discussion and ultimate decision.
Portfolio and project governance
- Support the implementation of the Asia Strategic Planning process across Asia Segment, and provide assistance to develop the business unit level strategies as required.
- Support the development of divisional strategic deliverables (e.g. annual strategic plan, strategy presentations, divisional memos etc.) for the Asia Division Executive Committee, Global Leadership Teams and the Board of Directors.
- Facilitate the development and collation of routine strategy reports for diverse audiences.
- Support strategy development, strategic reviews and special projects to support the growth of the Asia businesses and the development of associated deliverables
Monitor, control and report portfolio progress at an enterprise level:
- Support the portfolio governance practices of Manulife by assisting the AVP Transformation & Portfolio oversight with the management of the portfolio and project governance. Including compliance with group and regional requirements on policy, delegations of authority, risk and audit.
- Partner effectively with cross functional and virtual teams (IT Delivery Teams, Finance, Strategy, Global, and Corporate teams) by demonstrating collaboration, adaptability, and influence.
- Analyse project planning and budgeting, and provide accurate and timely reporting of project expenses and forecasting and providing thorough and insightful analysis of actual project expenses.
- Improving and executing annual portfolio planning & reporting, executive & delivery level dashboards and reports, as well as the data management of key systems that enable this financial reporting.
- Continuously improve the use of PPM across Asia (Planview) and support and further develop real time portfolio level reporting (PowerBI).
Our commitment to you
- Build best in class reporting and analytics; provide proactive recommendations to drive enhancements across reporting and analytics
- Under direction of the AVP, collaborate with Finance and IT delivery teams to optimize planning, data gathering, and reporting tools and processes through automation and standardization to drive efficiency and ensure consistency
- Our mission; to be a part of making Decisions Easier and Lives Better
- A leadership team dedicated to your growth and success
- A bold ambition and set of goals to be a leader in driving transformation in our industry
- Our best. Every day.
Learn more about opportunities with us at jobs.manulife.com If you are ready to unleash your potential it's time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock. About Manulife
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of June 30, 2020, we had $1.2 trillion (US$0.9 trillion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $30.6 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.