Senior Manager, Independent Credit Model Validation
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
- Be aware and be able to articulate how Group's and GCNA region's business strategies impact respective credit risk models.
- Demonstrate working understanding of both Wholesale and Retail Credit banking businesses across a variety of asset classes.
- Demonstrate evident subject matter expertise in relation to internal ratings-based model regulations (from HKMA and, preferably, PRA as well) across all credit-risk-related asset classes.
- Perform an independent validation of new and existing models that are used in risk management, capital requirement calculation, stress testing, etc., covering qualitative aspects (such as validation of underlying assumptions and theoretical basis of the modelling) and quantitative aspects (such as evaluation of data quality and application of relevant statistical tests).
- Independently manage and perform the entire model validation, from planning, to execution of work and closure of findings, while meeting planned timelines and required internal and external standards.
- Document validation findings and communicate results to senior management through presentation to relevant committees.
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders the work towards timely resolution of model issues raised through model validation work, ensuring that reasonable, business-relevant resolution of issues is achieved.
- Review regulatory requirements and industry practice regarding models under his/her remit, keeping up-to-date with latest internal and industry developments.
- Assist both the Head of Model Risk Management and the Head of Model Valdation in addressing concerns or questions related to the models validated.
- Identify trends in model issues and/or model performance, for disclosure at appropriate committees.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Ensure timely submission of model validation reports to relevant Model Assessment Committee and Model Assessment Forum, while ensuring that model meets applicable model governance requirements.
- Defend the conclusions of the model validation through attendance and presentation in relevant Model Assessment Committee and Model Assessment Forum
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Ensure that all applicable model validation requirements from HKMA are met for models to be used in SCBHK and its subsidiaries.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Enterprise Risk Analytics
- Group Retail Risk
- CIB & Commercial Risk
- Group Internal Audit
- External Audit
- Regulators - HKMA, PRA, etc as applicable
- Model Risk Management
- Group Operational Risk
- Expertise in analytics - development and/or validation of statistical models within the banking industry.
- Understanding and hands-on experience with credit risk modelling and/or stress testing modelling and analysis
- Statistical and data analysis using data management and statistical software (eg SAS, R, Python, Matlab, Excel, etc)
- Communication skill and ability to explain complex issues in a manner that business stakeholders can understand
- Project management skills and focus on quality and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of banking data and IT infrastructure, including data management, data quality control and data warehousing
- Presentation and business engagement skills towards a senior executive audience
- Knowledge of interpretation of laws and regulation and, specifically, interpretation of HKMA regulatory requirements
- At least master's level qualification in statistics, finance, applied math, econometrics or related fiel
- At least 8 years' experience in internal ratings-based credit risk model development and/or validation across all asset types, with focus on wholesale and commercial credit portfolios.
- Hands-on experience in credit portfolio management and the implementation and use of credit rating/credit scoring models.
- Successful experience with communication with senior management and with engagement with stakeholders.
- Self-motivation and high level to drive.
- Focused and organized and ability to effectively handle multiple demands.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .