Senior Manager, General Account Investments & Finance
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Manulife Hong Kong
- 17 Feb 19
Senior Manager, General Account Investments & Finance
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with the business, investments and functional support teams to strategically develop the Asia General Account Investments for Manulife's growing on balance sheet assets. Candidates will build on finance and business acumen in the specialized asset management and insurance industry.
The Asia General Account is a dynamic business which has been growing significantly and will continue to expand. The business is largely focused on making private and alternative assets investments for Manulife's assets from its insurance business. The team in Asia continues to explore and expand investments into new asset classes for Asia with primary focus in Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan. As part of this business, a Hong Kong Securities Future Commission (SFC) licensed entity was created for this growing asset management business. Incumbent will have the opportunity to be an integral part of the business development team supporting the Head of Finance and Business Development, Asia General Account Investments and the Head of Investment, Asia General Account Investments in special projects. This encompasses the development of the private asset platform in Asia and establishment of the growing business operations. In addition, the team works closely alongside the investments team in structuring private transactions.
Manulife's Investment Division has strong expertise managing a broad range of investments including public and private bonds, public and private equities, commercial mortgages, real estate, power and infrastructure, timberland, farmland, and oil and gas. Our Investment Division has a global physical presence in key markets, including the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore. The General Account investment philosophy is to invest in an asset mix that optimizes our risk adjusted returns and matches the characteristics of our underlying liabilities. Manulife's Global General Account invested assets totaled approximately USD$260 billion at the end of 2017. The General Account team operates as part of Manulife's Investment Division. The Global WAM & GA Finance & Strategy team is responsible for finance and strategic insights supporting these businesses.
- Coordinate project for the setup and onboarding of new clients for the General Account legal entities in Asia. Tasks range from reviewing legal arrangements, ascertaining fee charges with transfer pricing, tax, financial, operational and front office investment requirements.
- Work on special projects as directed by the Head of Finance and Business Development, Asia General Account Investments to support the General Account Investments business, company set up and transaction opportunities in Asia. These include onboarding high profile, innovative investment structures for Asia and analyzing and presenting on transactions in new Asia markets.
- Support the Asia Private Asset Initiative working with a global working group to navigate through tax, regulatory, operational and financial implications enabling Asia to invest in new assets types.
- Understand growing General Account Investment business and enhance the overall business environment ranging from developing front office, operations/ finance functions and processes.
- Assist legal/ compliance/ investment teams with improving and documenting operating procedures and controls developed through establishing new business.
- Participate in finance as required for legal entities- including liaising with auditors, reviewing business arrangements against financial records and assisting with annual budgeting.
- Provide value added financial input for policy holders and shareholders by designing financially efficient and transparent charge models for all business units.
- Follow developments in IFRS, any local Asia GAAP / Statutory accounting, and regulatory capital relevant to investments. Provide financial analysis, guidance with regard to interpreting accounting/regulatory capital policy.
- Produce presentations ranging from board decks to transaction initiative analysis.
- Review and ensure regulators' outsourcing requirements are met including performing due diligence on Manulife's entities.
- Assist with investment analysis, investment procedures and reporting.
- Bachelor's Degree and CA/CPA Designation in Accounting strongly preferred
- 6+ years accounting in asset management/ insurance experience Knowledge of IFRS, Asia GAAPs, US GAAP, SFC regulations and capital regimes is an asset.
- Public accounting firm and in house finance at a financial institution background is preferable.
- Excellent PC skills; especially with Microsoft Excel (knowledge of advanced formulas, pivots, macro/ VBA knowledge is a plus), Power Point and Word.
- Experience with databases and accounting systems such as SUN, Hyperion Essbase is a plus.
- Project management expertise and exposure to setting up new businesses.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to work productively with multiple parties at all different levels including management, finance, investment team and business unit partners in the global organization. As such, English language abilities are important in this role.
- Strong analytical, organizational, multitasking skills are highly beneficial.
- Ability to work adaptably and independently within the growing business.
If you are ready to unleash your potential it's time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.