Senior Legal Counsel - Global Legal
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- 30 Nov 17 2017-11-30
Some careers open more doors than others.
If you’re looking to unlock new job opportunities, take a look at the possibilities right on your doorstep here at HSBC.
Global Legal plays an important role in protecting the Group’s reputation by helping to future-proof the organisation through robust legal risk and issue advisory. Responsible for providing comprehensive legal advice to senior management and all global businesses and functions, the team offers a diverse range of legal skills, jurisdictional experience and practice specialisms across all countries and territories in which our businesses operate.
We are currently seeking a high caliber professional to join our team as Senior Legal Counsel.
In this role, you will
- Reporting into the Global Private Banking Asia Head of Legal, the incumbent will be responsible for providing legal advice, guidance and or support to the private banking business in Asia Pacific but primarily responsible for Hong Kong
- Providing support for credit and lending related matters, including reviewing credit documentation, liaising with external counsel both local and foreign, reviewing legal opinions, advising on lending structures.
- Advising, from a legal perspective, on platform management, technology and services and account administration support.
- Advising on complaints, incidents and other matters which involve legal risk.
- Supporting the regional investments lawyer in delivering legal advice to the wealth advisory and investment group.
- Providing clear, accurate, succinct and risk mitigated advice within relevant timescales and in doing so to adopt a commercially oriented, proactive and practical approach.
- Be a leader and representative for legal including at senior management forums in particular in relation to the Hong Kong booking centre.
- To share skills, experience, best practice and knowhow with the Legal team and to proactively identify legal risks trends and increase legal risk awareness within the businesses.
- Advise on and participate in planning, decision making and documenting new products, changes in procedures, systems and policies in the relevant businesses.
To be successful in this role, you should meet the following requirements
- Qualified lawyer.
- Extensive post qualification experience in core banking and finance, in particular, Lombard lending and products within a private banking context in a common law jurisdiction is essential.
- Such experience includes advising on cross border lending to private clients against investments exposures and the origination and distribution including sales management and suitability of products in equities, fixed income, funds, alternatives, structured products and derivatives and Foreign Exchange and commodities to a private banking client base.
- Knowledge of Hong Kong banking and securities legislation and regulations, codes and guidelines relevant to private banking will be a clear advantage.
- Highly effective verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills.
- Confident, independent and able to lead both at senior business forums in Hong Kong and within the Global Private Banking legal team.
- Self driven and resourceful, with a can do attitude with a proven ability to triage and prioritise.
- People oriented, exhibit willingness to invest time in cultivating professional relationships and display the ability to adapt to dynamic changes in the business environment through lateral thinking and problem solving in an open and connected manner.
- Stamina and ability to work under pressure and to compressed timescales.
For further details and application information please visit our career site, search under reference number 0000A341
You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC.
Candidate with less relevant experience or skills may be offered a lower Global Career Band than stated above.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited