(Senior) Director, Finance & Business Advisory, General Account Investments, Asia
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations. Job Description The Opportunity
The customer is the focus of everything we do, and millions of end users rely on our products daily. We believe in the value of empowering (Senior) Director, Finance & Business Advisory, General Account Investments, Asia with the resources to solve critical problems for the future of our business, which is why we need you.
Manulife is a leading international financial services provider for financial advice, insurance as well as wealth and asset management, established since 1887. Our strong investment management expertise and capability has been developed over the years and spans a wide range of asset classes and geographies. We operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. Manulife's Global General Account invested assets totaled approximately USD$322 billion.
The Asia General Account Investment function serves as the in-house investment manager for all of Manulife's Asia Segment's USD$91 billion of life insurance company assets. The team directs investment of funds backing insurance reserves amongst different asset classes and investment managers. It oversees the investment management and performance of assets outsourced to Manulife Investment Management Public and Private Markets and other external managers as well as having direct responsibility for managing over USD$46 billion in equities, bonds, mortgages, alternatives and derivatives. The team seeks to generate superior risk adjusted returns to support insurance product competitiveness and shareholder value.
The team is a talented and motivated group of investment professionals who are supported by critical legal, compliance and finance and business advisory functions to deliver investment capability and infrastructure for the Asia Segment. It is a dynamic business, growing across the Asia region with the exciting opportunity to be on the forefront of expansion across new investments capabilities as well as participate in new developments in Emerging Markets.
Incumbent will be responsible for the financial planning and analysis for this business across and overseeing the finances of the General Account Investments' legal entities. This is also an opportunity to support the Managing Director, Head of Finance and Business Advisory for Asia General Account Investments and the CIO for Asia General Account Investments in developing business strategy, reporting for senior leadership, leading various business expansion initiatives and governance enhancement for the growing business operations across the Asia region. Candidate will also have an opportunity to work alongside global teams in collaboration on many endeavors.
*Quoted figures as at Dec 2020. What motivates you?
We are looking for someone with:
- You obsess about customers, listen, engage and act for their benefit
- You think big, with curiosity to discover ways to use your agile mindset and enable business outcomes
- You thrive in teams, and enjoy getting things done together
- You take ownership and build solutions, focusing on what matters
- You do what is right, work with integrity and speak up
- You share your humanity, helping us build a diverse and inclusive work environment for everyone
On the job you will:
- CA/CPA Designation in Accounting required
- 8+ years accounting related experience in asset management or financial services industry
- Knowledge of IFRS, local Asia GAAPs, US GAAP standards and capital regimes are an asset
- Adeptness in usage of computing technology including Microsoft Power point presentations, Excel (knowledge of advanced formulas, pivots, macro/ VBA knowledge) and other systems
- Experience with operating financial databases and accounting ledger systems such as Hyperion Essbase is a beneficial
- Working knowledge of insurance business and asset management including range of asset classes including- derivatives, fixed income, private assets (debt and equity) is a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to work productively with multiple parties at all different levels in the global organization
- Sound analytical and organizational skills are highly valuable
- Ability to work adaptably and independently within the growing business
Our commitment to you
- Coordinate and deliver on annual management financial planning and budgeting process for the General Account Investments in Asia. This includes aligning with investment strategy on AUM projections and assessing AUM metric, cost effectiveness analysis.
- Perform financial analysis and deliver meaningful information/ financial metrics for board and management reporting at local, regional, group levels.
- Oversee regulatory financial reporting close process and statutory reporting for regulated General Account Investment asset management entities in HK, SG and UK. This includes ensuring timely delivery of annual financial audits and tax filings.
- Support development of business strategy and assess/ provide solutions to key business priorities. Build presentations for the strategic business proposals to support relationship management and communication for clients and management.
- Partake in business structuring in relation to Alternative Long Duration Assets including private equity/ real estate transactions working closely alongside origination, portfolio management and cross functional teams.
- Assist with enhancement of governance and processes within the business, as well as have an opportunity to be involved with key strategic initiatives including operational system upgrades.
- Work on special projects and initiatives as directed by the Managing Director- Head of Finance & Business Advisory to support GA business opportunities in Asia.
- Assume a level of responsibility in providing guidance for junior and newer team members.
- Our mission; to be a part of making Decisions Easier and Lives Better
- A leadership team dedicated to your growth and success
- A bold ambition and set of goals to be a leader in driving transformation in our industry
- Our best. Every day.
Learn more about opportunities with us at jobs.manulife.com If you are ready to unleash your potential, it's time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock. About Manulife
About Manulife Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services provider that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and our global wealth and asset management segment, Manulife Investment Management, serves individuals, institutions and retirement plan members worldwide. At the end of 2020, we had more than 37,000 employees, over 118,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 30 million customers. As of March 31, 2021, we had CAD$1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $31.3 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong. Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife /John Hancock , we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour , ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process . All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies . To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .