Portfolio Specialist (Fixed Income)
A career at T. Rowe Price says you want to contribute and make a difference at a leading global investment management firm where success results from the dedication our associates have in building success for our clients. We are a growing organization of associates from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We take a long-term view on associates and their careers. Our associates do phenomenal work with purpose, and as a result, we provide growth opportunities through in-person and online training, management development programs, and career development on the job. If you are seeking a meaningful work experience along with a workplace culture that thrives on teamwork, we invite you to explore the opportunity to join us. POSITION PURPOSE
The primary role of the Portfolio Specialist is to support portfolio managers across a range of fixed income strategies, by representing them in meetings and communications with institutional and intermediary prospects, clients, consultants, and internal staff.
This specialist will provide support for a range of Credit strategies for our distribution team and clients across the Asia ex Japan region. In addition, this specialist will be expected to be able to discuss the firm's broader fixed income capabilities, as well as topical fixed income market themes (not only credit related), as we seek to grow our fixed income business in the region. This role will require collaboration with other specialists located in our London, Baltimore and APAC offices.
A primary objective of the role is to actively engage with clients/prospects such that we minimize the amount of time spent by portfolio managers and their investment teams meeting and communicating with prospects, clients, and consultants. This will enable portfolio management teams to place maximum focus on the investment process, while at the same time helping to ensure that the firm excels in its sales and client service efforts. The Portfolio Specialist owns the message of strategies supported and works closely with portfolio analysts, institutional writers, and other internal staff to ensure that all communications, marketing materials, RFP responses, etc. are current and accurate.
The specialist is required to travel (in a post-COVID world) to meet with clients, prospects and consultants primarily in Asia ex Japan markets but potentially also in other regions. Given the global nature of our fixed income team, some travel to other investment offices will be necessary in order to stay connected with the investment teams.
The Portfolio Specialist also works closely with sales, consultant relations, client service and other internal staff to communicate relevant information regarding the investment strategies supported; including reviewing investment performance, portfolio composition and characteristics, rationale for holdings, investment decisions, etc. The Portfolio Specialist is accompanied by sales and client service professionals in meetings and presentations. PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES / SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Support the gathering and retention of assets under management by working closely with sales and client service professionals. Serve as the representative of the portfolio manager in meetings with institutional prospects, clients, and consultants.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of investment strategies covered. Attend investment meetings, read research reports, utilize information services, etc. to maintain knowledge base required to successfully represent portfolio managers and investment strategies covered.
- Serve as the expert for investment strategies covered. Provide investment strategy and performance context, voice, and messaging guidance to internal staff, including portfolio analysts, institutional writers, and other staff responsible for producing and delivering content to internal and external audiences.
- Provide investment strategy education to internal staff in one-on-one or group settings as appropriate.
- Support our distribution team and clients by delivering non-product specific engagement and advice related to our capabilities and/or markets.
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited institution and significant, relevant work experience.
- Strong preference for candidates possessing a CFA and/or an MBA.
- Likely to have 10+ years of buy side experience in portfolio management, or investment research, Investment consulting or institutional client service.
- Previous experience with credit-focused strategies.
- Must have a passion for the investment business with a deep understanding of investment concepts and have a strong working knowledge of investment strategies and tactics.
- Demonstrated track record of success in effectively communicating complex concepts to a wide variety of audiences.
- Exceptional relationship management skills with ability to interact well with portfolio managers, other investment professionals, sales and client service professionals, and institutional clients and consultants.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well within a collegial, but fast-paced and unstructured environment.
- Highly motivated and a self-starter.
- Possess a high level of personal integrity and a passion for achieving competitive results.
- Possess a high energy level and drive to succeed coupled with the poise and temperament necessary to work effectively in a team environment.
- Language skills: Fluent in English, Mandarin very welcome but not essential.
T. Rowe Price is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of thought, gender, and race. We believe our continued success depends upon the equal treatment of all associates and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, creed, colour, national origin, sex, gender, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, military or veteran status, pregnancy, or any other classification protected by country, federal, state, or local law.