Manager Research Specialist, Equity/ Fixed Income, Wealth (2 roles)
- Base salary x 13 months + Discretionary bonus
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Mercer Hong Kong
- 18 Jan 18 2018-01-18
We are currently looking for 2 Manager Research Specialists, one for Equity focus and one for Fixed Income focus. The primary objective of these roles is to conduct forward-looking manager research to support Mercer’s to-be-launched offering, Mercer Fund Watch (MFW). MFW is an issuer-paid model of distributing Mercer’s research on investment strategies.
The Manager Research Specialist will evaluate, mainly, equity/ fixed income investment strategies/funds following a global process to identify those who are most capable of generating value for investors. The candidate will primarily research and evaluate strategies relevant to local investors in Hong Kong and Singapore. As such, the candidate will also be responsible for understanding market trends and relevant practices so as to effectively gauge the relative skill and capabilities of investment managers in the country.
Conduct research and publish reports and ratings on the investment strategies
- Perform due diligence on investment management firms and their investment strategies through qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Read the investment managers’ marketing material, review the information they submit through Mercer's proprietary tool, Global Investment Manager Database (GIMD)
- Spend time one-on-one with the investment management firms to explore and interpret the information they have provided and walk through examples of how they evaluate investment decisions
- Perform desktop searches to validate information the investment managers have provided to Mercer
- Perform the quantitative analysis by comparing the total returns the Investment Manager is generating against their peers and against expectations given their process, using a standard industry metrics and comparing over specific time periods
- Make recommendations based on thorough due diligence in the form of research documents which demonstrate a well-articulated view, including the pros and cons of a given strategy, and state Mercer's recommendation / rating based on that research
- Liaise with Mercer’s Ratings Review Committee for oversight and governance of the ratings process
Support investment consulting teams
- Support the investment consulting team in Hong Kong and Singapore, and their clients, as required with information on the investment strategies we research and general information about trends in the market and industry
- Degree qualified in Finance, Business, Economics or other related discipline
- At least 5-7+ years’ experience in the investment management or consulting industries
- A sound understanding of investment markets and the management of assets
- Strong background in research or investment analysis, with a focus on equity/ fixed income strategies
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities and ability to reach and articulate a view – using excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to travel regularly to visit with managers and investment consultants located across the country
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to build effective and collaborative working relationships is required
- Willingness to work within a small team and as part of a global group
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills and appropriate attention to details
- Ability to make attractive presentation to prospects
- Self-motivation and a ‘can do’ attitude
- CFA charter holder preferred
Interested parties please state in your application/ CV that you are applying for the role with Equity focus or Fixed Income focus.
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purpose only.