- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Hong Kong
- 24 Apr 18
Legal Counsel, Retail Banking
- Location: Hong Kong
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Retail Banking Legal, Hong Kong, provides legal support to Retail Banking business segments of Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited ("SCBHK"). These segments include Priority Banking, Premium Banking, Personal Banking and Business Banking. Products provided within these segments include wealth management, lending, deposit and credit card products.
Key Roles and Responsibilites
Legal Counsel in the Retail Banking Legal function will be expected to assume/perform the following duties:
- provide day-to-day legal advice and support to Retail Banking segments and products in Hong Kong;
- draft and review legal documentation relating to Retail Banking, Hong Kong;
- provide legal support to new business initiatives that impact Retail Banking in Hong Kong;
- liaise and work closely with, and provide, where appropriate, advice to, Retail Banking Compliance in relation to matters that may have a regulatory impact on Retail Banking, Hong Kong;
- drafting and reviewing replies and reports to regulators involving Retail Banking, Hong Kong;
- assisting with regulatory queries, complaints and investigations affecting Retail Banking, Hong Kong;
- liaise with business units on regulatory queries, complaints and investigations involving Retail Banking, Hong Kong;
- liaise and work closely with, and provide, where appropriate, advice to, Group Retail Banking and Regional Legal and Compliance in relation to Hong Kong legal matters involving global or regional aspects;
- design and implement policies to promote and ensure effective risk management within Retail Banking, Hong Kong;
- analyze, manage and resolve or escalate issues that have legal impact on SCBHK's Retail Banking business or operations in Hong Kong;
- ensure external legal resources are managed properly and efficiently and are cost effective;
- in conjunction with Group or Regional Legal where appropriate, assist with the formation of dispute resolution strategies and oversee litigations in Hong Kong relating to SCBHK' Retail Banking;
- provide training to staff to enhance legal awareness of banking and finance laws in Hong Kong for Retail Banking;
- encourage colleagues to raise legal questions and discuss legal issues with Retail Banking Legal; and
- assist with the management of, and enhance the Group's relationships with, SCBHK's regulators.
Key Competencies Required
- Thorough knowledge of banking and other laws and regulations in Hong Kong, including financial law.
- Knowledge of products offered by retail banks.
- Special consideration will be given to candidates with regulatory law experience.
- Litigation/Dispute experience from private practice or in house will be highly regarded.
- Fluency in written and oral Cantonese and English
Key Attributes Required
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good and consistent judgment in different areas of law.
- An inquisitive approach to business practices, procedures and transactions.
- Self-motivator with the ability to work independently or in a team.
- A connector with strong inter-personal skills.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Hong Kong qualified lawyer with solid post-qualification experience
- Private practice and/or quality in house legal heritage
- 2 to 4 years post qualification experience
A diverse culture
We are committed to building a culture that fosters a diverse and inclusive environment that's free from bias, where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution. This is just one of our values that is expressed in our brand promise - here for good. Apply Now...