Legal Counsel (Commodities)
- Hong Kong
- Full time
- Permanent, Full time
- VTB Capital
- 22 Apr 18
This new role will form part of the closely-knit VTB Capital Legal team. It will be based in Hong Kong. The candidate will work closely with the Hong Kong trading team, the Global Commodities division and the local and Asia corporate governance functions. The individual will be the sole commodities counsel in Hong Kong but will be working closely with the broader legal team globally. We are growing our presence in commodities in Hong Kong and so a strong legal candidate is sought. Constant involvement with the commodities team in Hong Kong, Zug, Moscow and London.
The candidate will have in-house commodities trading/financing/banking experience with the necessary understanding of how to work in the commodities sector with highly motivated commodities business professionals, ideally experience of working in banks and regulated financial institutions.
The candidate will be a good resource for the firm as a whole whilst predominately supporting the commodities team in Asia.
The candidate will account to the legal department and the commodities business. The commodities business is headquartered in Moscow but the physical trading hub/booking entity is in Zug.
Skills needed include:
- Commodities trade agreements /trade finance documentation.
- Broader knowledge around commodities logistics and commercial documents of international shipment of commodities is essential.
- Commodities futures/derivatives experience would be an added advantage but not essential.
- Some appreciation of the regulatory issues involving a global business desk operating in a regulated entity would be helpful. Issues may include jurisdictional licensing and cross border origination/marketing issues.
- Admitted to practise in a Commonwealth jurisdiction (England & Wales/ Singapore / Hong Kong).
Supervision to be determined however to be closely involved with head of legal for Zug branch (physical trading hub).
No supervisory experience necessary at this point.
Key Competencies & Qualifications
Private practice is not ruled out but ideally would have had secondment/s in commodities team/s.
Good academic qualifications in law and minimum 3 year PQE.
Mandarin would be a distinct advantage.
- Dynamic, astute with regard to risk assessment, commercial and self-assured to get the respect of the business.
- Team-oriented personality with good judgement to identify and escalate governance/regulatory/cross border/sanctions issues promptly, particularly to Global/Regional Legal heads, as applicable.