- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Hong Kong
Legal Counsel/Senior Legal Counsel, Financial Markets
- Location: Hong Kong
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
We are currently looking for a Legal counsel or Senior Legal Counsel to provide legal and documentation support to Financial Markets in the following areas: 1 Financial Markets (FM) Sales, Structuring & Trading. 2 Infrastructure and Policy issues relating to FM. 3 Across all FM asset classes, but with a focus on credit derivatives.Leading the way in International Banking. We support the people and companies driving investment, trade and wealth creation across Asia, Africa and the Middle East. And our heritage and values are expressed in our brand promise - here for good. See our Brand and Values
We are currently looking for a Legal counsel or Senior Legal Counsel (depending on level of experience) to provide legal and documentation support to Financial Markets in the following areas:
- Financial Markets (FM) Sales, Structuring & Trading.
- Infrastructure and Policy issues relating to FM.
- Across all FM asset classes, but with a focus on credit derivatives.
General Financial Markets:
- Provide general and transactional legal advice.
- Negotiate and complete transaction documentation.
- Review, maintain and manage documentation templates.
- Provide training on legal/documentation matters and legal policies and procedures.
- Provide legal review and sign-off required under relevant policies and procedures.
- Assist in liaison with external counsels and country legal and compliance colleagues.
- Determine adequacy, validity and enforceability of contractual and collateral documentation.
- Manage documentation templates automation.
- Legal knowledge management.
- Assist with review of and compliance with policies and procedures.
- Assist in process governance committees and operational risks committees.
- Assist in management of client dispute resolution, if any.
- Review and provide legal sign-offs for product and country governance documents.
- Design, develop and approve new products documentation and country specific documentation.
- Lead and coordinate with country legal & compliance in relation to global roll-out of new products.
- Control, monitor and report external legal spending.
- Monitor quality of legal services provided by external law firms.
- Provide non-panel law firm approvals on a selective basis.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
Experience and knowledge:
- Minimally, a degree in Law.
- Qualified lawyer, preferably in a common law jurisdiction.
- Experience in general commercial banking.
- Experience in foreign exchange and derivatives, especially credit derivatives, is highly desirable.
- Experience working in the markets of the bank's footprints (desirable).
Character and skills:
- Strong analytical and legal skills.
- Personal authority and integrity.
- Independence and resilience.
- An inquisitive approach to practices, procedures and specific transactions.
- Ability to coordinate across different functions and geographies.
- Able to understand the nature of these risks and contribute to the processes that mitigate these risks.
- Able to make a meaningful recommendation and to provide the decision-maker with sufficient information in order to make an informed decision.
- Able to adapt his/her approach to a range of legal systems which may differ considerably from the system he/she was trained in.