To be part of the Hong Kong Legal team, ensuring the control environment is operating effectively to manage and mitigate legal and regulatory risk with controls proportionate to the nature of that risk.
About Global Legal
The Global Legal team has approximately 80 staff across the globe with lawyers sitting in most Fidelity offices. Legal's mission is to contribute to good customer outcomes and the growth of Fidelity by providing effective, accurate and business orientated legal advice and company secretarial services - delivering pragmatic solutions in partnership with our internal clients and external stakeholders while protecting Fidelity's interests. We operate in a team of teams approach with groups of professionals coming together to combine skills and deliver outcomes without regard to geography or organizational structure.
About Asia Pacific Legal
The Asia Pacific Legal team consists of more than 20 staff based in countries throughout the region. The Asia Pacific legal team is responsible for negotiating and drafting investment management agreements, distribution agreements, fund documentation for SICAV funds and regulatory filings related to the funds in the Asia Pacific region (ex Japan / Australia). The team also supports the Direct sales channel in the offering of Fidelity and third party managed retail funds in Hong Kong. In addition, the team provides general legal support and regulatory advice to Fidelity businesses across the region.
Purpose of your role
- To be part of the Hong Kong Legal team, ensuring the control environment is operating effectively to manage and mitigate legal and regulatory risk with controls proportionate to the nature of that risk.
- To provide expert and practical advice, legal and regulatory, to the business in Hong Kong.
- To provide proactive and timely legal support to the stakeholders in Hong Kong.
To develop partnership with the Business and provide value-added services
- Partner with, and offer value-added advice to the business on legal and regulatory matters.
- Lead legal projects with minimal supervision.
- Advise on SFC and MPFA registered funds and knowledgeable in Wealth Management Connect and Mutual Recognition of Funds initiative and related regulations.
- Lead product application and registration processes with the regulators.
- Review, coordinate and signoff fund products and related materials.
- Review investment management agreements, distribution agreements and general legal agreements.
- Partner across the firm to ensure Fidelity takes an active role in responding to and implementing latest regulatory developments, including consultation papers on rule changes.
- Demonstrate a commercial approach and sound legal judgement, analyse and assess situations, identify the inherent legal and other risks, and ensure the protection of Fidelity and its clients.
To work closely with regulators and other third parties in ensuring the integrity of the Company
- Liaise with regulators and provide responses to regulatory enquiries.
- Independently respond to routine, ad-hoc legal and regulatory requests from internal and external sources.
- Liaise with trustee or external and internal auditors as necessary.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with external legal panel, regulators, industry bodies and trade associations.
- External counsel management including the service level and performance review and expense management.
Experience and Qualifications Required
- Qualified lawyer (minimum of 8 years PQE) with relevant experience and a proven track record in Hong Kong.
- In depth understanding of Hong Kong SFC and MPFA regulations and the investment funds industry and securities markets.
- Knowledgeable in Wealth Management Connect and Mutual Recognition of Funds product initiatives.
- Experience in fund structures and institutional, wholesale and direct distribution.
- Experience in dealing with regulators and advising on regulatory matters.
- Excellent command of English and Chinese; proficiency in Mandarin would be an advantage.
- Strong analytical skills with an investigative and questioning nature, problem-solving ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to make sound decisions that include input from those who are closest to the issue or problem.
- Initiative, commitment and strong work ethic with high standards of excellence, honesty and integrity.
- Confidence and perseverance in addressing challenges and overcoming obstacles.
- Personal ownership and accountability for delivering on commitments and holding people accountable for delivering on their commitments and goals.