A fundamental equity fund based in Hong Kong with an excellent track record is looking to strengthen its team with the addition of a Japanese or Korean speaking Investment Analyst. The flagship fund was the HFM AsiaHedge Awards Winner for the Asia including Japan category in 2019.
The fund focuses on high-quality companies across Asia not accessible through passive or larger funds. As a result, we are looking for candidates with an eye for the strengths and weaknesses of business models and with a thorough understanding of the concepts of competitive moats.
This would be an excellent opportunity for someone already at a fund who would like greater responsibility and coverage or with a passion for value investing looking to break into the investment industry.
The team currently includes six people in Hong Kong and London and the position is based in Hong Kong.
This is a unique role for an independent thinker to join a fast-growing, entrepreneurial and multi-cultural environment with great development potential.
- Write research reports following internal processes and checklists
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis of potential investment candidates, including on-site visits and calls to management and other stakeholders (competitors, suppliers, former employees)
- Work alongside the Portfolio Managers to assess companies based on the strengths of their business models and participate in weekly Investment Committee meetings
- Keep abreast of news, events, earnings affecting portfolio positions and perform portfolio analytics
- Maintain and improve financial tools for screening and back-testing purposes
- 5 to 10 years of experience as research analyst in long-only or hedge funds. Open to candidates coming from investment banking, equity research, private equity, financial journalism and/or management consulting showing a keen interest in investing in quality companies in public markets
- Generalist interested in understanding a wide diversity of business models across sectors and geographies
- Bachelor’s degree or recent MBA graduate from a top-tier university
- Strong analytical, quantitative and communication skills, structured thinker, good with numbers and high level of attention to detail and data accuracy
- Pro-active, independent, self-motivated, inquisitive with a curious and critical mindset
- Works well in highly organized, methodical and fast-paced investment processes
- Experience working in multi-cultural teams preferable
- Fluency in Japanese or Korean mandatory, excellent English written and verbal communication skills