Investment Banking M&A Lawyer – Vice President
- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 25 Apr 18 2018-04-25
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 42 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The APAC Legal and Compliance Department is charged with day-to-day oversight and coordination of the Firm’s compliance with core regulatory requirements covering all businesses including Institutional Sales and Trading (fixed income, commodities, equities), Investment Banking, Research, Investment Management and Private Wealth Management Business across the APAC region.
Morgan Stanley’s APAC Legal and Compliance Department is seeking to hire a lawyer to be based in Hong Kong to join the legal team whose primary coverage responsibility is the market- leading Investment Banking – M&A business of Morgan Stanley in APAC.
- Primary role is to advise on (rather than execute) (i) public and private M&A transactions, where the Firm is acting as financial advisor, (ii) restructuring mandates and (iii) corporate broking/sponsor relationships, including:
- Extensive interaction with the M&A and industry/sector banking teams and the corporate broking team
- Review of engagement and execution documentation and guidance on deal structuring
- Review of materials for and participation in key Firm M&A Committees
- Legal risk and liability management and protecting the Firm franchise – significant interaction with Investment Banking management on escalation of legal and franchise risk issues, arising both on transactions but also from the general regulatory environment (e.g. senior manager, conduct, etc)
- Co-ordination of legal and other administrative support and liaison, where necessary, between the business units and outside counsel on specific issues, particularly in relation to cash confirmations (or equivalents outside of the UK and UKLA sponsor transactions
- Assistance in relation to litigation/regulatory investigations
- The team is responsible for developing (together with US and European colleagues) local and Firm-wide policies applicable to the M&A business. The team also works closely with the Control Group and the broader Compliance function on policy, franchise and restricted list issues
- The geographic coverage of the team is pan-APAC and it is expected to consider and advise on local issues, integration of local and international practices and on new developments in jurisdictions and their impact on Firm and market practice – close liaison with local legal teams in China, Singapore, Australia, Korea, and Taiwan
- Together with Hong Kong Legal & Compliance colleagues, assist in developing and executing training programs for personnel in IBD and other groups as appropriate in relation to the business activities the team covers and the applicable policies and procedures
Candidates should have significant M&A experience with a US or UK law firm and/or investment bank. The candidates are expected to have 4 – 7 years’ post qualified experience.
Candidates should have relevant experience in:
- Public and private M&A, including domestic and cross border M&A, joint venture arrangements and principal investments; solid background in company law; familiarity with takeover requirements, listing/prospectus rules and market abuse/insider trading legislation
- Takeover Code/Panel expertise and experience will be viewed favourably
- Co-ordinating, managing and supervising a project with a team of colleagues and/or outside service providers
- Training and development programs
Candidates should possess the following skills and qualities:
- Confidence, presence and leadership skills
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and administrative skills
- Be a good team player
- Mandarin language skills would be helpful