Internal Audit - Institutional Securities Group, Executive Director (Hong Kong)
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services company providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 42 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture. Our core values: Committing to Diversity and Inclusion, Putting Clients First, Doing the Right Thing, Leading with Exceptional Ideas and Giving Back underpin everything we do in Morgan Stanley.
Internal Audit Department (IAD) is responsible for validating whether the Firm operates in a controlled environment with appropriate risk management processes. Auditors evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of the Firm’s internal controls using a risk-based methodology developed from professional auditing standards. IAD assists in monitoring the Firm’s compliance with internal guidelines set for risk management and risk monitoring, as well as external rules and regulations governing the industry. The team reports directly to the Board Audit Committee and helps verify whether the Firm meets all of its fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders, while adhering to corporate-governance standards and legal and regulatory requirements. IAD comprises of a team of auditors with a diverse skill sets in business, compliance and financial crimes, risk management, operations, finance, information security and technology, working together to identify, monitor, assess and report on the control environment of the Firm.
Asia IAD, as the 3rd Line of Defence (LOD), is responsible for audits across all Morgan Stanley businesses, support and control functions, including the 1st and 2nd LOD, in the region. The audits are designed to assess the adequacy of the control environment and to provide the Board Audit Committee and relevant regional committees with an independent assessment of risk across the Firm.
IAD continues to strive to provides insightful viewpoints on leading indicators and topical matters that are most relevant to the Firm, use the most effective and cutting-edge means to accurately evaluate the stability of risk controls, and empower its team members to contribute and succeed in their career.
Morgan Stanley IAD is currently seeking an Executive Director in our Hong Kong office to lead our Asia Pacific Institutional Securities Group (ISG) audit team across the region, with audit teams located in China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Jakarta. The ISG audit team performs audit of institutional securities business activities in all major markets in Asia, including Japan, to form a view on the effectiveness of controls operating within Sales & Trading in Equities and Fixed Income, including the Prime Brokerage and Electronic Trading businesses where Morgan Stanley is the market leader, Investment Banking and Capital Markets, Research and functional groups that support these businesses which include Risk Management, Operations, Finance, Legal and Compliance, and Technology.
The successful candidate will assume the roles of the AP ISG Audit Coverage Director (ACD) and report to the Asia IAD Co-Heads. He or she will be responsible for leading the audit team to perform risk assessments, planning, execution and reporting of regional and global audits, and continuous monitoring activities. He or she will also support the audit department in interacting with the boards and governance committees, and regulators in the region. Furthermore, the successful candidate is expected to support the Asia IAD Co-Heads in driving various department projects and initiatives in the region. Qualifications:
• 12 years or more experience in audit or 1st and 2nd line of defence control functions in sales & trading, investment banking and global capital markets, with at least 3 years in similar senior leadership role.
• Understand and keep informed of market insights and regulatory developments in China, Hong Kong and other major markets across the region.
• Proven leadership and people management track records in leading, coaching and developing teams and collaborating with peers throughout audit engagement activities and to shepherd teams through critical, complex areas.
• Demonstrate thought leadership and strategic thinking in guiding and challenging teams in innovation, adopting creative audit techniques to improve effectiveness and focusing on what matters.
• Demonstrate thoughtful communication and presentation skills that build trusted relationships when engaging with key stakeholders, including regulators and senior executives, to provide independent views on risks and controls.
• Demonstrate ability to drive effective continuous monitoring to ensure timely risk assessment to inform the audit strategy, plans and focus areas.
• University bachelor, post graduate degree or relevant professional qualifications.