Institutional Equities Business Risk Manager - Vice President
The Morgan Stanley Equities business operates globally in all major locations and is an industry leader in Equities Sales and Trading. In an increasingly competitive and complex regulatory environment there is a need for a strong and dedicated Business Unit Risk Management (BURM) function to support the Equities business in furthering our market leading position, and doing so in a risk focussed and controlled manner.
The Equity BURM team operates globally and is managed regionally in New York, London, Hong Kong and Tokyo. The team is responsible for ensuring a best in class Front Office Risk Management environment is in place globally.
The Equity BURM team provides risk management services across the Institutional Equity Division (IED) and covers market, non-market, counterparty, operational, technology and franchise risk.
This role will have a broad focus across IED sales and trading, encompassing all traditional aspects of risk, including operational, franchise and regulatory risk. The primary responsibility will be to support the IED business in a Non-Market Risk capacity covering the Sales And Trading business including Cash (High Touch and Electronic), Derivatives (Flow, Structured and Exotic) as well as the Delta One Structured Products desks.
Other responsibilities will include management of the new product approval process, risk committee participation, senior management risk reporting, operational risk incident tracking and remediation, ownership of business unit operational risk framework and general risk management responsibilities.
This role is integral to the prosecution of MS Equities Business and will require a candidate whom is able to adapt to a fast paced environment and able to be creative in providing solutions to the business in order to meet its objectives in line with the Firm and Businesses risk tolerance. Qualifications:
The preferred candidate will have 10+ years of practical risk management experience in financial services with specific experience in dealing with equity products across Asian markets. Given the potential for them to cover Structured Derivatives, a Legal or Regulatory background would be an advantage. They must also need to work well with senior sales and trading managers, as well as country and business heads.
The qualified candidate must have :
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence others not in direct span of control
• Strong presentation skills with an attention to detail
• Experience having worked in a high pressure, delivery focused environment
• Strong analysis skills and is intellectually inquisitive
• A drive to learn and prepared to review detail
• Confidence and ability to be self-starter
• Strong work ethic
• Mandarin language skills preferred
Technical skills needed:
• Investment banking experience in control/risk functions
• Front to back knowledge of key sales and trading process flows
• Operational Risk / Internal Audit / Regulatory background and/or experience
• Project management experience – track record of delivery on projects, commitments
• Strong Microsoft skills