Hedge Fund Analyst, Emerging Markets Equity, Long/Short
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours. POSITION
Wellington currently manages approximately $35 billion in alternative assets worldwide across long/short equity, absolute return credit, global multi-strategy, private equity funds and custom solutions. Our investment ecosystem and scale allow alternative investors to partner with world class investment research experts across fundamental equity, credit, fiscal/monetary economics, derivatives, rates, risk, data science, climate, sustainability, and many others. Our investment dialogue promotes collaborative discussions on securities across a range of diverse perspectives; the freedom to disagree and to make independent decisions on behalf of our clients is paramount to our culture.
Within our Alternatives platform, we are seeking an Equity Analyst ("Analyst") to join our Aregua fund. Aregua is our emerging markets long/short equity hedge fund, which comprised of stocks that exhibit strong or improving growth profiles, returns on capital, and corporate stewardship. The Analyst will work closely with the Portfolio Manager to generate, research, and implement investment ideas across market caps and regions for the concentrated portfolio. In addition, the Analyst will conduct fundamental research that leads to differentiated insights derived from asking innovative questions, anticipating trends, and identifying risks and potential disruptions in rapidly changing emerging markets.
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Investment acumen and passion - The Equity Analyst will have a deep understanding of global emerging markets and companies within them (across sectors). The ability to identify mispricing and valuation discrepancies, make investment recommendations, and communicate his/her findings to the Portfolio Manager is required. The ideal candidate will be passionate about markets with a demonstrated track record of successful stock recommendations. In addition, the Analyst must exhibit a deep fundamental, research oriented, bottom-up approach, supported by a strong investment philosophy and process, and be able to implement ideas through an analytical framework.
- Superior collaboration and influencing skills - The successful candidate will be energized by being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embracing the benefits of overlapping lines of company coverage and idea generation. The Analyst will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues and externally with company management teams. The ability to take risk and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; s/he must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented opinions clearly and with conviction, and contribute to an open investment dialogue, is important.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. The Analyst will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the next generation of the investment industry and evolution emerging and frontier markets.
Additional qualifications and characteristics include:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in an analytical role on the buy- or sell-side, of which a minimum of 5 years of experience is in emerging markets, specifically the Asia-Pacific region. Experience shorting equities is preferred;
- Service orientation with a fiduciary and client-centric mindset;
- Ability to remain focused and appropriately allocate time to "what matters;"
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
- Independence of thought, intellectual curiosity, and an entrepreneurial nature;
- Highest personal and professional integrity and ethics;
- History of professional achievement;
- Global perspective;
- Fluency in Mandarin would be additive;
- Openness to the travel required for success; and
- Strong academic credentials; MBA/CFA preferred.
Hedge Fund Analyst, Emerging Markets Equity, Long/Short LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .