- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
Head of Stress Testing & Risk Appetite HK & GCNA
- Location: Hong Kong
- Salary: Competitive
- Job Type: Full time
Head of Stress Testing & Risk Appetite HK & GCNAAbout Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
- Lead, develop, and build an effective and impactful Stress Testing & Risk Appetite team within Risk Governance
- Supervising and coordinating all related processes where Stress Testing and Risk Appetite is identified as process owner across the GCNA region
- Act as main point of contact for internal and external stakeholders regarding Stress Testing and Risk Appetite
- Define, implement and manage enterprise-wide stress testing and risk appetite governance
- Manage the Bank's Stress Testing Forum to ensure regulatory stress testing governance requirements are fulfilled, particularly with respect to industry wide stress tests, ICAAP and Recovery Plan exercises.
- Own the Stress Testing and Risk Appetite frameworks and policies.
- Interpret requirements, expectations and observations from regulator in relation to stress testing exercises and risk appetite setting and monitoring.
- Direct comprehensive analysis throughout the year to identify areas for improvement;
- Participate in and provide ongoing support to audit and regulatory reviews and inquiries in relation to Stress Testing and Risk Appetite.
Stress Testing Coordination and Execution
- Coordinate the Bank's Risk function in completion of regulatory and internal stress tests;
- Liaise with Group and relevant local functions such as Finance, Risk and Business functions in facilitating the setting of stress test scenario;
- Ensure timely delivery of milestones and appropriate identification and management of cross stream dependencies for regulatory and ad hoc stress testing activities;
- Determine stress test requirements and engage relevant stakeholders at different levels of the organisation across Risk, Finance, Treasury, Group, etc., to facilitate communication in relation to stress testing;
- Manage relationships with local regulatory bodies in relation to stress testing;
- Lead the consolidation, documentation and submission of stress testing results of the Risk function
- Review, challenge and clarify the stress testing outputs on an enterprise wide risk basis to ensure consistency and completeness in line with regulatory requirements;
- Deliver clear concise reporting on stress testing results for presentation to senior committees such as Stress Testing Forum, Executive Risk Committee and Board.
- Facilitate planned enhancements in stress testing operating model, governance and system solutions, liaising with Group counterparts and local functional teams to ensure timely identification of requirements, data sources and key contacts and support the design of the operating model
- Support delivery of Corporate & Institutional Banking and Commercial Banking Credit Risk and Retail Credit Risk Stress Testing Projections
Risk Appetite Setting & Monitoring
- Support Risk Owners and Risk Framework owners in interpreting regulatory and internal requirements with respect to risk appetite to propose appropriate appetite metrics and thresholds
- Coordinate across Risk, Compliance, Business and other functions as necessary to facilitate the setting of the Bank's Risk appetite.
- Support monthly reporting against Risk Appetite and appropriate escalation of breaches
- Facilitate Risk Owners and Risk Framework Owners in proposing mitigating actions in respect of appetite breaches
- Ensure appropriate consideration and incorporation of stress testing results in risk appetite setting exercises.
Strategy, Business and Risk Management
- Develop a keen awareness and understanding of the Group's business strategy and model to support Stress Testing and Risk Appetite activities;
- Support the definition and roll out of enhanced stress testing & risk appetite operating model, governance and system solutions
- Maintain awareness and understanding of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates
- Identify, within stress testing and risk appetite activities, operational risk issues and areas of non-compliance with internal or external regulations and requirements and propose solutions and escalate appropriately to ensure appropriate control framework is in place.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the Stress Testing and Risk Appetite team in achieving the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Review activities against HKMA regulations in respect of Stress Testing and Risk appetite, identifying and proposing / implementing remediation of any gaps.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Understands complex interactions between economic and operational factors and their resulting impact to product, business line and financial results and position of the Bank;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with various cross functional teams at all levels. Confidence in communication with senior management and in senior committees on Stress Test matters;
- Demonstrated ability for problem solving, working independently and attention to detail; Ability to use discretion and independent judgments; Ability to understand impacts of adverse economic and market scenarios;
- Ability to facilitate discussions and conduct working group meetings;
- Dedicated to information integrity and to producing high quality and insightful output and hitting deadlines where applicable; and
- Ability to manage multiple tasks successfully and efficiently in a fast paced, regulatory driven environment. Experienced in project management
Experience & Qualifications
- Educated to degree level;
- 10+ years experience in Banking industry;
- Experience of regulatory stress testing such as ICAAP, Recovery Plan, or Industry Wide Stress Testing exercises;
- Prior experience in Finance/Risk/Compliance/Audit/Governance and/or change management; and
- Understanding of financial reporting systems and standards (including IFRS 9), and / or project management / technology change preferred.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.