Head of Compliance, Hong Kong & Macau
Are you looking for a supportive, collaborative workplace with great teams and inspiring leaders? You've come to the right place. We're looking for ambitious people who share our values and want to make every day better for people around the world. If this sounds like you, and the career below sounds exciting, we'd like to hear from you. Job Description Assistant Vice President, Head of Compliance, Hong Kong and Macau, Legal & Compliance, HK Role Summary
Reporting to the Chief Compliance Officer, Asia Segment, with matrix reporting to Chief Legal and Compliance Officer, Hong Kong, you will be responsible for leading and managing 4 teams of compliance professionals (IFP Compliance, Distribution Compliance, AML/FATCA/CRS Compliance, Corporate Compliance) to provide regulatory and compliance advice and oversight on all regulatory and compliance matters relating to Manulife's IFP's operations in Hong Kong and Macau.
This role also has matrix oversight of Employee Benefits Compliance, working closely with colleagues in Manulife Investment Management Compliance. Job Description
Experience & Qualification
- Act as Business Unit Compliance Officer for Manulife's Hong Kong and Macau IFP and retirement business, ensuring that programs are in place to reasonably ensure compliance with all relevant laws as well as corporate policies and standards.
- Provide regulatory and compliance advice on IFP and retirement business related matters to IFP/retirement business and operation teams in Hong Kong and Macau, and provide effective challenge to the business where required and as appropriate.
- Responsible for all aspects of MIL's 2nd line of defense regulatory compliance program, including but not limited to, life and health product compliance, sanctions, AMLATF/FATCA/CRS, distribution compliance, retirement business compliance, and corporate compliance matters for our Hong Kong and Macau IFP and retirement business.
- Monitor any relevant legal and regulatory developments, initiatives or requirements, conduct gap analyses of existing policies and procedures and ensure timely implementation of any required enhancements or changes, including consultation on draft regulations with regulators, industry associations and peer organizations.
- Supports MIL's High Net Worth (HNW) business by ensuring that timely and risk-based advice is provided on specific cases, and that our overall Compliance risk with respect to the HNW business is effectively mitigated.
- Oversee and ensure the continuous implementation and effectiveness of the compliance framework, including the review and preparation of policies, guidelines, procedures and training.
- Oversee the review marketing materials, including product brochures, video scripts, press releases and advertisements.
- Oversee and monitor compliance testing in conjunction with Regional and Global Compliance Testing teams.
- Handle enquiries and investigations by the relevant regulators such as the Hong Kong Insurance Authority, MPFA, SFC or AMCM, and support the MIL General Manager and Chief Legal and Compliance Officer to build strong regulatory relationships.
- Coordinate requests from law enforcement agencies.
- Prepare ongoing reports for periodic regulatory/compliance updates to Manulife's Board of Directors, Regional and Global Legal and Compliance and Senior Management.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by Chief Compliance Officer, Asia Segment and/or Chief Legal and Compliance Officer, Hong Kong and Macau.
- Occasional travel to Macau may be required to carry out above duties.
- University graduate with related field of study like insurance, banking, audit or law.
- Professional designation such as Accountancy, Audit, Law or Actuarial would be an asset.
- 10 years of relevant experience working in the compliance field in the banking, insurance, or financial services sector.
- Profound knowledge of IFP, MPF and ORSO products and insurance regulatory requirements is preferred, although the right candidate from another regulated financial service (banking, asset management, etc.) would be considered.
- Experience working within a multinational financial institution, particularly one with US or Canadian regulatory obligations, would be an asset.
- Excellent leadership, analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills.
- Able to manage sometimes difficult conversations with senior leaders, including taking and defending sometimes unpopular positions where required.
Every career at Manulife/John Hancock provides the opportunity to learn new skills and move your career forward. Ready to make an impact somewhere? What are you waiting for? Apply today. About John Hancock and Manulife
- Excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills in written and spoken English, and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) are required. Strong people management skills, with a passion for leadership and the creation of high performing teams.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Proactive and attentive to details.
- Ability to work within a globally operating team with a collaborative mindset.
- Independent, analytical thinker, hard-working and with a solution-orientated mindset.
- Ability to adapt to an ever-evolving environment.
John Hancock is a unit of Manulife Financial Corporation, a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife globally, including Canada, Asia and Europe. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were CAD$1.3 trillion (US$1.1 trillion) as of June 30, 2021. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as MFC on the TSX, NYSE, and PSE, and under 945 on the SEHK. Manulife can be found at manulife.com .
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports more than 10 million Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance , annuities , investments , 401(k) plans , and education savings plans . Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com . Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife /John Hancock , we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour , ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process . All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies . To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact email@example.com .