Executive Director, Office of Regulatory Affairs
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- J.P. Morgan
- 19 Apr 19
Executive Director, Office of Regulatory Affairs
The Hong Kong-based APAC Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA) team is responsible for advising senior management and other internal stakeholders in relation to strategic regulatory change matters impacting businesses in APAC (the six Asian G-20 countries plus Hong Kong and Singapore). The team identifies analyses and assesses the impact of material regulatory developments in the region and develops-in partnership with colleagues in the business and other expert functions-briefings, position papers, advocacy materials and guidance to assist the firm in contributing to the development of regulation and in preparing the firm for meeting the resulting regulatory requirements. This includes engaging in balanced advocacy with regulators and policymakers, understanding and providing thought leadership on how policies affect the firm, its clients, financial stability and economic growth overall, and governing internal coordination among regions and lines of business on global regulatory reform issues.
Within APAC, the Office of Regulatory Affairs is housed within the Office of Global Finance and Business Management. The APAC ORA is part of the larger Office of Regulatory Affairs team housed with the Office of the CFO and the APAC team is part of a coordinated global effort focusing on the firm's comprehensive regulatory strategy.
The team is seeking to augment its resources with an experienced professional, preferably with a background in regulation or regulatory policy, in either the public or private sector or a combination. Familiarity with prudential regulation (particularly capital and liquidity) and/or asset management regulation are preferred, but not required. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading or partnering with colleagues to lead external efforts on key regulatory dossiers, Key responsibilities include: identifying material regulatory changes, analysing potential impacts, liaising with businesses and other expert functions, coordinating positions and representing the firm's view with internal and external stakeholders, bilaterally and through industry associations. The individual will also engage extensively with colleagues in the Office of Regulatory Affairs, both in the U.S. and in Europe.
- Identifying and analysing legislative and regulatory proposals from relevant APAC countries in terms of application to and impact upon current JPM business. Monitoring the international agenda (e.g. IOSCO, FSB, BCBS) and emerging US/EMEA market-related policies, to ensure a holistic appreciation of policy goals between APAC and US/EMEA.
- Supporting the Senior Lead for APAC Prudential advocacy work with responsibility for leading specific issues in partnership with the Global Corporate Regulatory Affairs team.
- Building relationships and working with a wide range of internal stakeholders (line of business, compliance, legal, government affairs, finance, and global partners in the Office of Regulatory Affairs) in determining the firm's views on proposals and the appropriate mechanism for advocacy/response
- Drafting or contributing to position papers, response documents and other analytical pieces for a variety of audiences.
- Delivering verbal briefings and analyses to a wide range of stakeholders, including senior management.
- Representing the firm's views at, and coordinating with, all major industry associations in their submissions, articulating positions and playing a proactive role in forming opinions in a collegiate atmosphere.
- Representing the firm's views in discussions with regulators, legislators and other appropriate external stakeholders.
- Drafting briefings and other materials for internal and external coordination of views, as needed in the context of the broader initiatives of the Global ORA team.
- 6-7 years of experience, preferably in strategy/research/risk/legal, or financial analysis roles
- Prior knowledge of banking regulations, including familiarity with prudential regulation themes (Capital, Liquidity, Recovery & Resolution) and/or asset management regulation preferred
- Working knowledge of financial services regulation in one or several APAC countries, and of their public policy context, strongly preferred
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to learn new areas of expertise
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills, and attention to detail
- Able to work well both autonomously and in a team environment, holding self-accountable for deliverables and able to work to strict deadlines, and manage multiple projects and time sensitive deliverables
- Excellent verbal/presentation and written communication skills, and ability to effectively engage senior stakeholders.
- Primary Location: Hong Kong, Chater House
- Organization: CORPORATE SECTOR
- Schedule: Full-time
- Hiring Manager: Vanessa Le Leslé
- Salary Grade / Level: senior VP