Equities Compliance, Manager/ Director
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 747 offices in more than 42 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture. Department Profile
The Compliance Department is part of the Legal and Compliance Division, and provides guidance and advice to Business Units and infrastructure and support staff at the Firm, including Sales & Trading, Research, and Investment Banking.
The Department provides advice on compliance matters including for new products and businesses and interpretation of rules and policies, develops and implements compliance policies and procedures, and provides relevant training. It also maintains the rules management and compliance risk management frameworks, undertakes testing activities and utilizes exception reports to monitor and, where appropriate, investigate Firm, customer and employee activity. Position Description
Based in Hong Kong and reporting to the Head of Cash Equities Compliance, this role will provide compliance assistance to Morgan Stanley’s Institutional Equity Division, covering businesses including but not limited to Cash, Program, Electronic Trading, Delta One, Derivatives, Stock Borrowing/Lending and Prime Brokerage. It is expected the Compliance individual will help raise compliance awareness and standards across the Firm in the relevant coverage areas, helping ensure consistency where appropriate of compliance processes and controls. Major Responsibilities
- Advisory – Provide advice on regulatory interpretation and issues on a wide range of compliance related matters, including review of marketing materials.
- New business initiatives – Participate and review new business and infrastructure initiatives from a local and international regulatory, best practice and Firm perspective.
- Compliance policies and procedures – Review manuals and Compliance Notices to ensure they are properly revised or updated when necessary. Draft new manuals, Compliance Notices, policies and procedures in light of regulatory or business changes.
- Desk reviews and monitoring – Provide advice to the Desk Review and Monitoring Team to identify risk areas or lead independent reviews, and monitoring of business and supervisory practice.
- Surveillance – Work with the Surveillance team on investigating irregular trading activities, document findings and assist in preparing regulatory responses.
- Reporting – Assist with preparing and filing relevant regulatory reporting, including trade error reporting.
- Training – Develop and review training materials, and provide training to Institutional Equity Division staff.
- University graduate or equivalent degree preferred, ideally in business, accounting or law.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in the financial services industry, preferably in Compliance and/or with a securities exchange, regulator or law firm.
- Knowledge of regulatory and compliance requirements, preferably those related to Equities.
- Sound judgment in identifying risks in order to proactively escalate with the relevant senior managers.
- Outstanding communication skills in English necessary to effectively interact with and influence internal and external stakeholders; fluency in Asian languages (e.g. Mandarin and/or Cantonese) advantageous.
- Strong analytical skills, detail-oriented, motivated and team player.