Director, Staff Engineer
- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- Permanent, Full time
- Manulife Hong Kong
- 23 May 18 2018-05-23
Director, Staff Engineer
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Does change excite you? Do you want to be part of the team that redefines how we build software? We are changing the way we unlock value through technology and we want you to be part of it! We are growing our Global Software and Platform Engineering unit, with the vision to deliver quality software, that adds value to our customers, faster at scale.
The customer is at the focus of everything we do, and millions of end users rely on our products daily. We believe in the value of empowering engineers and developers with the resources to solve critical problems for the future of the business, which is why we need you.
We are seeking self-motivated engineers, who are obsessed with delivering value, are forward-thinking, and excited to see the successful implementation of the products they deliver. Our current opportunities are available in Hong Kong, Boston, and Toronto.
- Embed with software development teams, enabling and accelerating consistent implementation of engineering patterns and approaches within the firm
- Develop and evolve engineering patterns, best practices, and reference implementations to consistently increase the rate of sharing and reuse across the globe
- Be a vocal technical leader within the internal engineering community
- Collaborate with software developers and engineering leadership to uncover pain points and opportunities to accelerate the delivery of new value through platforms and software
- Degree holder with solid full stack software development experience and engineer team leadership
- An entrepreneurial spirit and comfort working within a rapidly changing startup environment; you love the challenge of working on a small team and being part of a larger movement to change the engineering culture of an enterprise
- Familiarity with agile and DevOps principles, test-driven development, continuous integration, and other approaches to accelerate the delivery of new features
- Developing junior engineers and a passion for growing staff within the organization
- Experimenting with emerging technologies and understanding how they will impact what comes next
- A capacity for constant learning from both success and failure, remaining open to change and continuous improvement
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving abilities that enable you to manage through creative abrasion
- Strong verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively articulate and communicate technical vision, possibilities, and outcomes across all levels in the organization
- Cloud Foundry and other components supporting a highly-automated global engineering platform
- Open source! As we accelerate our delivery of world-class experiences, we know embracing open source technologies will help us get there. Any experience with open source is very attractive to us!
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.