We’re seeking an experienced DevOps Engineer to join the team to help continue building out our trading infrastructure to expand to more strategies and markets. No prior cryptocurrency or finance knowledge is required, as we are happy to provide education and training in those areas but a strong engineering background is absolutely essential for success in this role and an interest in these fields is highly recommended.
Parallel Capital is an algorithmic, high-frequency proprietary trading firm that specializes in providing liquidity within the cryptocurrency markets.
We’re a small team but a major (though under-the-radar) player in the cryptocurrency market-making ecosystem, founded by industry veterans from both Wall Street and Silicon Valley in a melding of finance and tech. With over 35+ years of combined experience, we profitably trade 11+ figures USD per month, outperforming much larger and better-funded teams, and we are expanding rapidly.
To put this in context: we trade 1% of the entire crypto industry's volume daily. If we were a retail exchange (think Coinbase or Binance), we would be ranked between #5-8 on any given day in total trading volume.
We value constant learning, continuous improvement, fast iteration, and relentless resourcefulness. We focus on results, not effort. We embrace the sharing of ideas with an open mind and engage in healthy debate to evaluate them from first principles - there are no sacred cows!
Role and Responsibilities
We’re seeking an experienced DevOps Engineer to join the team to help continue building out our trading infrastructure to expand to more strategies and markets.
No prior cryptocurrency or finance knowledge is required, as we are happy to provide education and training in those areas but a strong engineering background is absolutely essential for success in this role and an interest in these fields is highly recommended.
Tasks you might encounter include:
- Adding performance and business logic instrumentation to existing components
- Designing and maintaining CI/CD process and tools
- Helping run latency tests and performance tuning
- Troubleshooting production issues
- Instituting best practices in security
- Keeping dependencies and libraries up to date
- Calculating cost efficiency for cloud services
- Writing and maintaining documentation around DevOps procedures
- Migrating and setting up PagerDuty for risk alarms/alerts
- Implementing Docker
We deeply believe in an iterative process when building out infrastructure and as a result, we expect a tight feedback loop - frequent communication, asking questions when there are any uncertainties, pointing out tradeoffs to be made, and front footing anything unexpected are all strongly encouraged and highly valued.
The ideal candidate:
- Collaborates effectively with trading and engineering team members to define and refine technical requirements and then executes on them.
- Prefers simplicity and likes to take a lean and iterative approach to solve problems.
- Thrives in a culture of passionate learning and teaching.
- Loves to reflect on challenges and improve the process and tooling iteratively.
- Cares about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to identify and understand root causes and seek to resolve those instead of only addressing the symptoms.
- Is able to explain and make wise tradeoffs to balance pragmatism in achieving business requirements with adhering to technical best practices.
- Understands the importance of good documentation and is proactive and consistent about recording clear and useful information as well as making it readily available to other team members.
- 5+ years of full-time technical DevOps experience.
- Intimate familiarity with Ubuntu Linux and the command line
- Strong skills with vim
- Python 3.6+
- Git and GitHub
- PostgreSQL (especially with query performance tuning)
- Solid grasp of best practices security principles
- Latency measurement and performance optimization across CPU and network stacks
- Deep understanding of AWS products (EC2, EBS, RDS (Postgres), VPC)
- Application Monitoring and Alerting
- Load testing
- Fluent written and verbal English language skills
- Candidates must be located in Hong Kong.
We have experience sponsoring visas and are happy to do so along with providing a relocation package if applicable for qualified candidates who are interested in moving to Hong Kong.
Nice to Haves
- Bachelor's degree in CS or related
- Experience with using and administering:
- Alibaba Cloud
- Top of the line Macbook Pro, multiple large monitors
- Fully paid premium health insurance
- 5 weeks vacation
We strongly believe in professional development and are supportive in ensuring personal and professional growth. You’ll be joining a small team and get to work directly with the founders.