See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 747 offices in more than 40 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Compliance Department is part of the Legal and Compliance Division, and provides guidance and advice to Business Units and infrastructure and support staff at the Firm, including Sales & Trading, Research, and Investment Banking.
The Department provides advice on compliance matters including for new products and businesses and interpretation of rules and policies, develops and implements compliance policies and procedures, and provides relevant training. It also maintains the rules management and compliance risk management frameworks, undertakes testing activities and utilizes exception reports to monitor and, where appropriate, investigate Firm, customer and employee activity.
Based in Hong Kong and reporting to the Regional Co- Head of Equities Compliance, this role will provide compliance coverage for Morgan Stanley’s Delta One Structured Products, PB and Stock Borrow and Lending business. It is expected the Compliance individual will help raise compliance standards across the Firm in these coverage areas, helping ensure consistency where appropriate of compliance processes and controls.
Major responsibilities are as follows:
• Advisory – Provide advice on regulatory interpretation and compliance issues with specific focus on Delta One market access products (e.g. China, Taiwan, Korea and India), Stock Borrowing/Lending and Prime Brokerage.
• New business initiatives - Review and lead new business and infrastructure initiatives from a local and international regulatory, best practice and Firm perspective.
• Compliance policies and procedures - Review manuals and Compliance Notices to ensure they are properly revised or updated when necessary, and draft new manuals, Compliance Notices, policies and procedures in light of regulatory or business changes.
• Desk reviews and monitoring - Provide advice to the Desk Review and Monitoring Team to identify risk areas or lead independent reviews, and monitoring of business and supervisory practice.
• Training - Develop training materials and provide training to Institutional Equity Department staff
• Industry contacts- Work closely with industry participants to ensure appropriateness and consistency.
• Regulatory interaction - Help develop and manage the Firm’s contact and relationship with its regulators, ensuring that communications between the Firm and its regulators are open and constructive. Qualifications:
Skills, Qualification and Experience
• University graduate or equivalent degree preferred, ideally in business, accounting or law
• Minimum 8-10 years of relevant work experience in the financial services industry in Compliance or internal audit and/or with a securities exchange or regulator
• Knowledge of regulatory and compliance requirements, especially those related to Equities
• Sound judgment in identifying risks in order to proactively escalate with the relevant senior managers
• Outstanding communication skills in English necessary to effectively interact with an influence internal and external stakeholders; fluency in Asian languages (e.g. Mandarin and/or Cantonese) advantageous
• Strong analytical skills, detail-oriented,
• Team player