Business Development Director NBFI APAC & ME - Corporate Banking
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
About International Corporate Banking
International Corporate Banking is responsible for the origination of Corporate Banking Products and the relationship management of large multinational and financial institutions clients globally. The group works closely with its colleagues in the Investment Bank to ensure we are leveraging the breadth of the CIB product set against these client relationships. The team covers clients across the full ICB client segments, with origination activities focussed across APAC & ME.
Overall purpose of role
To lead, manage and oversee the performance and risk of the ICB NBFI business within APAC & ME including:
- Acting as a member of the Corporate Bank APAC & ME Leadership team
- Acting as a member of the ICB FIG Leadership team
- Leading the profitable performance, growth and future strategy of the NBFI business in APAC & ME across the relevant markets, countries and sectors.
- To focus on the spectrum of needs for customers within the NBFI key sectors (Fintech, Insurance & Funds, Corporate Specialist Solutions) operating an outbound and inbound model supporting cross border investment into our International Corporate Banking strategy
- Assume the role of Senior Relationship Executive to drive business and client relationship developments - working closely with Banking, the regional and sector heads to help develop and monetize Global Corporate Banking relationships globally with a focus on the top tier names, ensuring that a high degree of client contact is consistently maintained
- Accountability for the delivery of the financial and operating performance of ICB NBFI APAC & ME Business, including profits, client satisfaction, conduct, controls, employee engagement and community relations.
The role holder is responsible for leading, developing and delivering the strategy for the NBFI business in ICB APAC & ME, specifically:
- Developing sustainable strategy and execution plan for the NBFI APAC & ME business in conjunction with ICB Head of APAC & ME and ICB Head of FIG.
- Develop a business plan and delivery of business plan and performance
- Management of risks in line with business appetite, governance and escalation frameworks and process for example credit and financial crime risk.
- Recruitment and development of talent
- Proactive and effective stakeholder management (ICB and FIG global teams, IB, Product, Risk and other relevant partners)
- Senior client coverage
- Developing a positive external profile for the NBFI APAC & ME team and raising awareness of capabilities
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
Key internal stakeholders include ICB leadership team, ICB FIG leadership team, Heads of Product, Senior IB and Cards and Payments leadership, risk, compliance, servicing and operations
- Key external stakeholders include customer C-suite across all NBFI sectors and countries and media. For client engagement this will include leading relationships on behalf of the wider firm
- Ability to operate at all levels of the internal and external stakeholder base is key.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
As a member of the ICB APAC & ME and ICB FIG Leadership teams support Head of ICB APAC & ME and Head of FIG in the development of the BB PLC CB NBFI strategy and business plans that align to Barclays' Purpose, Values, Risk Appetite and Policies
- Own, manage and deliver APAC & ME ICB NBFI business objectives (revenue, cost and broader KPI's)
- Contribute fully in all key commercial decision making and play a role in achieving the control of costs across Barclays.
- Identify and present growth opportunities to the Head of ICB APAC & ME and Head of ICB FIG.
- Contribute to the regional ICB financial planning processes (STP, MTP and RAF), aligning financial targets with business strategy and commercial goals and develop options / recommendations to help the business achieve its overall targets
Risk and Control Objectives
Ensure that all activities, duties and decisions are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, the Enterprise Risk Management Framework (ERMF), Conduct Risk Management Framework (CRMF) and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards and The Barclays Way:
- Responsible for embedding a clearly articulated risk culture International Corporate Banking within APAC & ME which reflects Barclays Purpose and Values.
- Responsibility for maintaining the risk / reward balance of the regional team portfolio, within risk policy guidelines
Person Specification & Essential Skills
Significant experience at leadership level in financial services organisation or equivalent with experience on an international scale particularly in APAC & ME:
- Detailed knowledge of financial services sectors and clients (including history, trends and future development) specifically Funds, Insurance and Payments Services Providers;
- Ability to maintain and enhance the standing of Corporate Banking within NBFI sector and wider markets
- Established and evidenced leadership credentials, including leading through change
Additional key experiences and knowledge required:
Purpose and Values
- Track record and experience of business building and growth with a proven ability to manage complex and relentless change
- A thought/industry leader in the NBFI sector
- Knowledge of complex Corporate Banking product suite including Debt, Trade and Working Capital, Cash and transactional products and FX
- Broad knowledge of risk management and control and accounting policies and financial control
- International experience is a prerequisite
- Strong strategic vision:
- Proven ability to: shape, develop and execute a strategy to drive major change and growth
- Propose the business strategy to the Head of ICB APAC & ME and Head of ICB FIG
- Drive towards a target operating model and respond to changes in the external environment.
- A culture builder:
- Able to inspire loyalty to the firm as well as on a personal level at every level of the organisation
- Ability to build a culture to deliver performance consistent with the values;
- Has an immaculate ethical track record with clear proof of values and behaviours in action, consistent with Barclays stated Purpose and Values
- Has a track record of leading and delivering a strong, values based, citizenship agenda.
- Relationships and Communications:
- Able to develop and maintain constructive relationships with regulators, and other key stakeholders
- Excellent communicator with the ability to communicate and demonstrate to internal and external audiences on a wide range of topics
- Stature and ability to operate as part of a senior management committee with the necessary interpersonal skills and commercial insight to challenge and influence at this level
- Risk and Controls:
- Strong knowledge of credit and market risk management, internal control systems and financial control systems with the ability to lead the internal governance and control agenda; and
- Ability to effectively manage reputational risks to protect and build the Barclays brand
- Must ensure technology continues to provide innovation for commercial and customer benefit while retaining appropriate controls to ensure a secure and controlled environment.
- Leading in a multi-geographic, matrix organisation: Ability to balance commercial, customer and regulatory needs and requirements of a multi-geographic organisation; and has an instinctive grasp of organisational matrix management and how to successfully combine business/ function and geography requirements.
- Talent Management:
- Proven commitment on building capability across a workforce. Able to attract and develop top talent from inside and outside the industry; and
- Must be a relevant and appealing leader to a wide pool of talent. Lead and drive innovation in the corporate banking sector - the ability to anticipate and lead the market
- Resilience to maintain progress against significant challenges.
- Decisive, clear and capable of acting at speed
- Ability to deal with high levels of ambiguity and simplify outputs and recommendations in a complex environment.
Our purpose is creating opportunities to rise. We support sustainable and inclusive growth by connecting the ideas, innovations and aspirations of our customers and clients to the capital that can bring them to life. For over 325 years we have funded progress, and today we remain committed to helping make our world more sustainable, more inclusive and more connected.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Respect
We respect and value those we work with, and the contribution that they make. Integrity
We act fairly, ethically and openly in all we do. Service
We put our clients and customers at the centre of what we do. Excellence
We use our energy, skills and resources to deliver the best, sustainable results. Stewardship
We are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.