Business Development Director, ESG Ratings (Singapore or Hong Kong)
Dual-headquartered in New York and London, Fitch Ratings is a leading provider of credit ratings, commentary and research. Dedicated to providing value beyond the rating through independent and prospective credit opinions, Fitch Ratings offers global perspectives shaped by strong local market experience and credit market expertise. The additional context, perspective and insights we provide help investors to make important credit judgments with confidence.
Fitch Solutions delivers credit market data, analytical tools and risk services to the global financial community. In addition to offering proprietary market-based content, Fitch Solutions distributes the ratings, research and financial data of Fitch Ratings through a variety of flexible platforms. With innovation and experience behind every solution, Fitch Solutions helps financial professionals meet the diverse and evolving needs of today's global markets.
Fitch Ratings, Fitch Solutions and Sustainable Fitch (SUF), along with Fitch Learning, are part of the Fitch Group, a global leader in financial information services with operations in more than 30 countries. Fitch Group is wholly owned by Hearst .
Fitch complies with all laws governing employment in each jurisdiction in which it operates, and provides equal opportunity to all applicants and employees. All applications will be considered without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, and other status protected by applicable laws. Department Overview:
This role is based in either Singapore or Hong Kong, within the Business Relationship Management (BRM) group, providing tactical marketing and leading business development initiatives in the Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) and sustainable finance area in the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region.
The APAC BRM team's responsibilities are:
- Issuer Marketing / Business Origination (across Sovereigns, Financial Institutions, Corporates, Structured Finance Originators, International Public Finance amongst others)
- Banker / Arranger outreach
- Managing Fitch's visibility and positioning Fitch as the rating agency of choice in APAC region
This newly created role will play an essential part in working closely with Fitch's newly established Sustainable Fitch, focused on ESG, Sustainable Finance marketing in the APAC region.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Qualifications & Experience:
- Work closely with the senior business originators and other team members in the APAC region to implement Fitch Ratings' business strategy and initiatives relating to ESG ratings e.g. meeting the assigned KPIs and revenue budgets, etc
- Maintain and build constructive business relationships with assigned existing issuers that carry ESG ratings from SUF. Identify potential issuers and acquire new relationships for ESG ratings via direct marketing/outreach.
- Independently handle and tackle sophisticated or challenging business requests e.g. bidding for new ESG rating mandates, pitching for ESG rating retention/conversion, negotiating commercial terms, gathering market intelligence for business decision making, participating in cold calls jointly with business originators to prospect issuers, etc.
- Develop relationships with active investment bankers / underwriters / relationship managers / sector bankers involved in sustainable finance with a view to win ESG rating mandates
- Work closely with internal/external counterparts (issuers, bankers, SUF analysts, etc) to assure smooth execution of new and existing ESG rating exercises
- Collaborate with Global Revenue Management team who manages rating contract renewals and provide input on ESG related matters in a timely manner.
- Work closely with business/billing support team to conduct timely billing and manage accounts receivables.
- Execute and/or support various outreach initiatives (conferences, seminars, one-on-one meetings, electronic delivery, analyst meetings, Issuer Portal service, etc) to strengthen Fitch's market visibility on ESG
- Maintain and track Green, Social and Sustainable (GSS) deal flows on a regular basis and provide timely update to the senior management via weekly, monthly and ad-hoc market reports
- A minimum of 6-years relevant marketing or relationship management experience in debt capital markets or banking/financial services sectors
- At least 2-years of relevant experience on ESG products / Sustainable Finance required
- Experience in handling business relationship with sovereign, financial institutions (banks, NBFI, Insurance), corporates, public finance, infrastructure and other relevant issuers
- Proven track record in developing new business and growing revenue streams for new products
- Possess effective presentation and negotiation skills, with some exposure to Bloomberg or Wind
- Ability to effectively communicate with senior management and market participants on ESG, sustainable finance and other important industry issues
- An energetic self-starter and team player who is capable and articulate with good interpersonal skills
- College or MBA degree with specialization in business, finance and other relevant disciplines
- Strong command of spoken and written English required. Proficiency in spoken and written Mandarin Chinese will be an advantage
- Some travel may be required across the region