BIS Analyst APAC Stewardship
Description About this role Description:
As an independent, fiduciary asset manager, BlackRock is committed to acting at all times in the best long-term interests of our clients. We undertake our BIS activities to protect and enhance the economic value of the companies in which we invest on their behalf.
The work of BlackRock's BIS team is an investment function. The team operates in six offices across three regions - the Americas (New York and San Francisco); Europe, Middle East and Africa (London); and Asia-Pacific (Tokyo, Hong Kong and Sydney) - and undertakes engagement with and proxy voting at portfolio companies on behalf of clients globally.
BlackRock aims to take a common view in-house regarding our engagement and voting policies and uses the BIS group to coordinate, communicate and carry out these policies across the 95 markets and approximately 15,000 shareholder meetings at which the firm votes each year. Role description:
This role is based either in Singapore or Hong Kong and reports to the Head of BIS Asia ex-Japan. The role is mostly dedicated to the coverage of the South Korea and India markets. The person is expected to provide support for the heads of APAC and Asia ex-Japan with regards to proxy voting and engagement with companies in these markets. This person will also work closely with the fundamental equities team to assist in the environment, social, and governance (ESG) analysis of investment targets. Responsibilities:
Contribute to the team's core duty of proxy voting and company engagement in relation to companies in the APAC ex Japan
Monitor the various corporate governance standards and best practices in the region and contribute to internal guidelines refreshment
Engage with Institutional Client Business to ensure BIS reports, commentaries and RFPs are submitted on time and to an appropriate standard
Support operational day to day needs and longer term projects as part of the broader Global BIS team
Contribute to ESG integration and research for the fundamental equities team The tasks involved in fulfilling these responsibilities include:
The person in this role will be/will have:
- Analyzing meeting agendas and related materials in order to vote in the manner most consistent with BlackRock's corporate governance policies
- Engaging with fundamental portfolio managers to get their input into our engagements, including proxy voting, and risk analysis
- Supporting the integration of ESG considerations into the investment process, as applicable
- Engaging with members of the APAC BIS advisory committee to contribute to their understanding of and support for the work of the BIS team
- Keeping up to date on policy developments in specific sectors and markets to ensure BlackRock's principles and guidelines remain relevant
- Contributing to reports for and/or engaging with internal and external parties on BlackRock's corporate governance policies and activities
- Working with BlackRock's client-facing group to ensure client reporting and client presentations meet expectations, and that client queries on corporate governance are responded to promptly and to the satisfaction of the client
- Contributing to engagement with policymakers on corporate governance policy and ESG matters, including through dialogue and/or public comment letters
- Conducting research on ESG topics and related matters
- Engaging with research providers and other external contributors to the BIS team's activities to ensure they meet our needs, particularly as our needs evolve
- Contributing to the continual review of the BIS team's output and working practices to ensure risks are minimized and performance optimized
- Participating in the monitoring of proxy voting workflow, to ensure all accounts are voted as intended and in line with the appropriate guidelines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Korean and English
- A degree in finance, economics, accounting or related discipline
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity, leadership capabilities and strong work ethic
- Strong interest in the investment management business
- Broad understanding of the general principles of corporate governance
- Knowledge of Asian capital markets
- Familiarity with economic and financial theories/concepts
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong familiarity with computer applications (i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, etc.)
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.