Assistant Company Secretary
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Purpose
The Role Responsibilities
- Support the Company Secretary of Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited ("the Company") in driving high standards of corporate governance and deliver key company secretarial and corporate governance priorities and initiatives in an efficient and sustainable way.
- Serve as the Company Secretary to various Significant Non-Banking Subsidiaries as well as Non-Banking Subsidiaries in Hong Kong, provide advice to the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of subsidiaries on board/ board committee agendas and ensure the Directors have the right information to make the decisions/ approvals being requested.
- Provide timely and relevant guidance to the Directors and senior management on the application and interpretation of legislation, banking regulations, corporate governance guidelines and policies relating to the business of the Company and its subsidiaries.
- Ensure compliance with the Hong Kong Listing Rules (Standard Chartered PLC listing) and manage the interface with the Hong Kong Stock Exchange at the working level.
The Role Requirements
- Supporting various aspects of the end to end board / board committee governance process ensuring comprehensive agendas, high quality papers, balanced minutes and proactive follow up of matters arising. Working closely with the Company Secretary to ensure the Directors have the right information to make the decisions/ approvals being requested.
- Build and maintain strong stakeholder relations with the Company's Executive Committee members and dedicated Accountable Executives of non-banking subsidiaries to ensure that the Group's approach to subsidiary governance is well understood and adhered to.
- Proactively manage the non-banking subsidiaries, deliver high quality, efficient, effective and sustainable company secretarial practices and processes, ensuring compliance with relevant Group Policies, local legal and regulatory requirements.
- Provide advisory on corporate approval processes and ensure all senior managers clearly understand the source of their authorities.
- Provide support and take ownership of certain aspects of Hong Kong Stock Exchange announcements and the end of year process, including notices and disclosures relating to the annual and interim reports, management information statements, AGM, dividends and debt programs. Collaborate and engage with GCS colleagues in London and other relevant stakeholders to ensure most efficient and cost effective processes.
- Work closely with the Company Secretary on Group led projects particularly in respect to share capital, loan stock and debt issuances, including the Group's Debt Issuance Programs proposed new listings of shares by Standard Chartered PLC (in respect of the Group's obligation under the Hong Kong Stock Exchange Listing Rules).
- Manage functional risk and embrace the Group's approach to operational risk management.
- Provide thought leadership on emerging corporate governance practices.
- Drive and stimulate an environment where forward planning, prioritization and deadline management lead to efficient work practices and streamlined functional activities and processes.
- Embrace and display behaviors that are both aligned to the Group's focus on collaboration and conduct. Demonstrate high standards of compliance and disciplined ways of working
- Be a qualified accountant/ lawyer or a Chartered Secretary with technical/ practical company secretarial knowledge and experience.
- Experience of working within Financial Services or a fast paced HK listed company of substantial size and complexity.
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
- Proven excellent organizational and planning skills are essential in this role.
- Possess the ability to identify and drive opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Good interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate/ influence senior management and stakeholders.
- Possess a flexible and collegiate approach with the ability to contribute to building and maintaining a strong team environment.
- Ability to prioritize workload, work under pressure and manage tight deadlines.
- Reliable, self-motivated and proactive.
- Possess a common sense and commercial approach to problem solving
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.