- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Hong Kong
- 30 Nov 17
Assistant Company Secretary
- Location: Hong Kong
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Please view Job Description for details.Standard Chartered is a leading international bank operating in some of the most dynamic markets in the world, in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Our successful and sustainable business is built on doing tangible, long term good for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
- Support the Company Secretary of Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited ("the Company") in driving high standards of corporate governance and deliver key company secretarial and corporate governance priorities and initiatives in an efficient and sustainable way.
- Serve as the Company Secretary to various Significant Non-Banking Subsidiaries as well as Non-Banking Subsidiaries in Hong Kong, provide advice to the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of subsidiaries on board/ board committee agendas and ensure the Directors have the right information to make the decisions/ approvals being requested.
- Provide timely and relevant guidance to the Directors and senior management on the application and interpretation of legislation, banking regulations, corporate governance guidelines and policies relating to the business of the Company and its subsidiaries.
- Ensure compliance with the Hong Kong Listing Rules (Standard Chartered PLC listing) and manage the interface with the Hong Kong Stock Exchange at the working level.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Provide proactive and high quality support to the Company Secretary of the Company in the following areas:
- Supporting various aspects of the end to end board / board committee governance process ensuring comprehensive agendas, high quality papers, balanced minutes and proactive follow up of matters arising. Working closely with the Company Secretary to ensure the Directors have the right information to make the decisions/ approvals being requested.
- Build and maintain strong stakeholder relations with the Company's Executive Committee members and dedicated Accountable Executives of non-banking subsidiaries to ensure that the Group's approach to subsidiary governance is well understood and adhered to.
- Proactively manage the non-banking subsidiaries, deliver high quality, efficient, effective and sustainable company secretarial practices and processes, ensuring compliance with relevant Group Policies, local legal and regulatory requirements.
- Provide advisory on corporate approval processes and ensure all senior managers clearly understand the source of their authorities.
- Provide support and take ownership of certain aspects of Hong Kong Stock Exchange announcements and the end of year process, including notices and disclosures relating to the annual and interim reports, management information statements, AGM, dividends and debt programs. Collaborate and engage with GCS colleagues in London and other relevant stakeholders to ensure most efficient and cost effective processes.
- Work closely with the Company Secretary on Group led projects particularly in respect to share capital, loan stock and debt issuances, including the Group's Debt Issuance Programs proposed new listings of shares by Standard Chartered PLC (in respect of the Group's obligation under the Hong Kong Stock Exchange Listing Rules).
- Manage functional risk and embrace the Group's approach to operational risk management.
- Provide thought leadership on emerging corporate governance practices.
- Drive and stimulate an environment where forward planning, prioritisation and deadline management lead to efficient work practices and streamlined functional activities and processes.
- Embrace and display behaviours that are both aligned to the Group's focus on collaboration and conduct. Demonstrate high standards of compliance and disciplined ways of working.
Qualifications and Skills
- Be a qualified accountant/ lawyer or a Chartered Secretary with technical/ practical company secretarial knowledge and experience.
- Experience of working within Financial Services or a fast paced HK listed company of substantial size and complexity.
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
- Proven excellent organisational and planning skills are essential in this role.
- Possess the ability to identify and drive opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Good interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate/ influence senior management and stakeholders.
- Possess a flexible and collegiate approach with the ability to contribute to building and maintaining a strong team environment.
- Ability to prioritise workload, work under pressure and manage tight deadlines.
- Reliable, self-motivated and proactive.
- Possess a common sense and commercial approach to problem solving.
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
The closing date for applications is 31/12/2017. Please note all closing dates are given in Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours). We aim to respond to successful applicants within four weeks and will keep a record or your application in our database so that we can contact you when suitable vacancies arise in future.
Third Party Applications
Please note: Applications from third parties are not accepted unless by invitation.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Standard Chartered is an equal opportunity employer. We have a meritocratic culture where each individual employee is valued and respected for who they are as a person and for what they bring to the organisation.