The Technical Services Consultant role requires a blend of technical ability and client facing skills. The responsibilities are split into three main areas, DR, ASP and DBA with a particular focus on the Linedata Global Hedge suite of software but also other Linedata products. Pre-emptive monitoring and problem solving are encouraged as much as reactive and proactive troubleshooting.
DBA – Database Administration:
- Maintain a good knowledge of Oracle databases including 11g, 12c and 18c
- Troubleshoot issues that arise with the Oracle database both internally on development and testing platforms and at client sites.
- Performance tune Linedata solutions running on Oracle on internal platforms and at client sites. Mainly, but not exclusively, PL/SQL and SQL tuning.
- Maintain a good knowledge of Oracle tuning tools and techniques.
- Research new technologies released by Oracle and see how they can be leveraged by Linedata products
- Maintenance and programming of installation disks for Linedata products, including Oracle installation.
- Maintenance of housekeep and healthcheck packages.
- Ad hoc project work for clients, including but not restricted to, upgrade work and platform migrations.
- Documentation of DBA procedures.
ASP – Application service provider:
- Maintain a good knowledge of Windows and Citrix administration
- Daily monitoring checks on various ASP servers
- Troubleshoot issues on the ASP servers, including database servers (Oracle), application servers (windows services) and Citrix servers.
- Implementation of new ASP clients.
- Upkeep of monitoring tools and documentation.
- Documentation of ASP procedures.
DR – Disaster Recovery:
- Maintain a good knowledge of Oracle disaster recovery and high availability tools and techniques including RMAN and Dataguard.
- Maintain a good knowledge of disaster recovery solutions implemented using CA Arcserve/Xosoft and Doubletake.
- Troubleshoot issues with any of the Linedata disaster recovery solutions.
- Daily monitoring checks on the Linedata disaster recovery solutions
- Installation of Linedata disaster recovery solutions.
- Development of new disaster recovery solutions.
- Documentation of disaster recovery procdures.
- Once trained, be available to enter a rotation for the out of hours Technical Services support phone. The out of hours Technical Services support phone is taken for a week at a time and the holder is also required to carry out checks on the ASP system on Sunday.