AVP - Senior Counsel / Associate - Counsel - Office of Legal Obligations, Legal and Regulatory Change Monitoring (LRCM) Team
JPMorgan Chase & Co
. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of more than $2 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
The JPMorgan Chase Legal Department is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the Corporation's lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams and businesses and staff areas to discuss legal, regulatory and business developments effectively and in a timely manner. About the Office of Legal Obligations.
The Office of Legal Obligations (OLO) is a firmwide program responsible for developing and executing a sustainable infrastructure and process that (i) documents JPMorgan Chase's Obligations arising from material laws, rules and regulatory requirements and (ii) connects the Obligations to policies, when applicable, as well as to procedures or other documentation that support compliance with those laws, rules and regulatory requirements.
The overall OLO program goal is to improve the control environment regarding the laws and regulations of the firm. The OLO program helps allow the firm to trace end-to-end connections between laws, rules, regulations and policies and procedures.
For the program, JPMorgan requires talented lawyers with a regulatory awareness and background, who are able to understand the risks to the Lines of Business and JPMorgan of non-compliance with laws and regulations. The ideal candidate will monitor, identify, and document changes to applicable laws affecting the Firm's products and services, handle reporting and notification of regulatory changes, and advise internal stakeholders on legal and regulatory developments as necessary. The role requires significant cross-functional collaboration, including with line of business lawyers, their Compliance counterparts, as well as counterparts in Risk and Control Management. The environment is fast-paced, often requiring that issues are addressed promptly to help ensure the firm stays in compliance with the rapidly-evolving laws and rules that may apply to our highly regulated industry. The successful candidate must have strong analytical and collaborative skills, be able to work independently, and be a true "self-starter." Primary Responsibilities will include:
- Work with a global regulatory change monitoring team to monitor, identify and document changes in applicable laws in PRC and other jurisdictions as necessary.
- Research and analyze laws, rules, regulations and other legal and regulatory developments to assess impacts on the firm's products, services and businesses.
- Provide written summaries of legal and regulatory developments to Legal colleagues and business and other corporate function partners, and advise on such developments as needed.
- Assist at times in participating on cross-functional teams to develop and maintain legal obligations.
- Work collaboratively with other internal teams responsible for regulatory change management.
- Work with technology teams to develop automated monitoring solutions and improve functionality of obligation repository.
- Occasional research to support special projects as needed.
- Juris Doctor degree and/or educational equivalent with at least three years of experience practicing law post-qualification; qualifications or experience in PRC preferred, but not required
- Fluent in English and Mandarin (reading and writing)
- Litigation or regulatory background preferred
- Experience researching and analyzing laws, rules and regulations
- Experience within a regulatory change monitoring environment an advantage
- Ability to comprehensively and concisely summarize the status of legal developments in a plain and simple manner for distribution to business and legal senior members globally
- Detail-oriented, with a structured, disciplined approach
- Experience with the financial services industry and/or good knowledge of financial markets
- Thorough understanding of the business environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, good team player and ability to prioritize workload
- Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Analytical, flexible and pragmatic
- Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment
- All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment
Primary Location: Hong Kong