APAC Operational Risk Business Oversight Team Lead/Consultant (Enterprise Functions)
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a leading global financial services company with $2.0 trillion in assets and offices in over 37 countries. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides asset management, capital raising and advisory, financing, foreign exchange, payments, risk management, and trade finance services to support customers who conduct business in the global economy. At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers' financial needs and help them succeed financially. We also value the viewpoints of our team members and encourage them to be their best. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you will feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience. We are looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you. Learn more at our International Careers website .
Market Job Description
The Role The APAC Operational Risk Business Oversight (ORBO) is responsible for the independent oversight of front line operational risk management effectiveness of Region-specific Enterprise Functions. Enterprise functions are non-business support team and may include: Human Resources, Legal, Finance, Audit and Corporate Risk. This role is expected to engage with business and risk resources within the front line to influence and challenge risk management activities and decisions. Operational risk is the risk resulting from inadequate or failed internal controls and processes, people and systems, or resulting from external events. Operational risk is inherent in all Wells Fargo products and services as it often arises in the presence of other risk types.
This role will develop specific subject matter expertise , is considered a thought leader and will assist the business oversight leader with all matters pertaining to Operational Risk coverage and oversight. In this capacity, this role reviews and challenges significant Front Line operational risk program execution, including, but not limited to, business continuity, payments, external fraud, information risk management, safety and physical security, transaction processing and execution, third-party risk management and various risk assessment policies and programs. The risk professional in this role will also develop detailed understanding of business strategy, the customer base, products and services and other relevant industry issues, frameworks and emerging risks. Specific responsibilities include:
- Use subject matter expertise and industry knowledge to provide independent oversight and credible challenge to the Line of Business' operational risk management activities
- Direct engagement with the Control Executive teams, Business Management and Independent Risk teams to promote a strong operational risk culture
- Active engagement in key region Enterprise Functions risk governance routines inclusive of strategic planning sessions, governance committees and business reviews
- Oversee and challenge the region Enterprise Functions across all operational risk routines including - plan, identify and assess, control and mitigate, test and validate, monitor and report
- Support the Business Oversight Leader with the performance of an independent risk assessment of the regional Enterprise Function front line, inclusive of emerging risks
- Understand, review and challenge the Regional Enterprise Functions front line risk acceptances and new business initiatives
- Identify and escalate to business oversight leadership conflicts with risk management results and expected business outcomes
- Influence appropriate risk management prioritization by the front line to enable the business to meet strategic objectives, while meeting operational risk program expectations
- Evaluate cross-program and cross-group analytics to identify opportunities and best practices to influence stronger risk management practices by the business
- Active engagement with IRM risk teams supporting various risk types to ensure appropriate alignment and prioritization
- Develop and deliver oversight content summarizing the results of the independent risk assessment activities
- Maintain relationships with Business Managers, Independent Risk teams, and Group Control Executive teams
- Facilitate IRM-sourced issues to the regional Enterprise Functions as needed
- Provide a business-centric view to IRM Risk Programs as needed
Market Skills and Certifications
- Successfully review and challenge business operational risk management practices and outcomes.
- Build and sustain a strong risk culture including a balanced approach through working in cooperation and consultation with all lines of defense across the enterprise.
- Leverage their experience to bring industry leading standards, practices and tools to the organization.
- Execution, integrity, and credibility will be determining factors in selection. Successful candidates will be articulate and possess a demonstrated capability to organize, scope and execute complex initiatives across a complex, heavily matrixed corporate environment. A successful candidate will also require a developed sense for strong relationship management, and can exert influence.
- 10+ years of experience in compliance, operational risk management (includes audit, legal, credit risk, market risk, or the management of a process or business with accountability for compliance or operational risk), or a combination of both; or 10+ years of IT systems security, business process management or financial services industry experience, of which 5+ years must include direct experience in compliance, operational risk management, or a combination of both
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to articulate complex concepts in a clear manner
Other Desired Qualifications
- Meaningful knowledge of the enterprise risk management framework, including: risk identification, risk appetite and strategy, risk-related decisions, processes and controls, risk analytics and governance
- Strong understanding of one or more Enterprise Functions operations, processes, products and customer interactions where they manifest risk
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, and communications skills with an ability to interact effectively with stakeholders across the organization, which includes virtual, matrixed leadership experience
- Proven leadership skills to drive alignment across stakeholder groups to develop and deliver repeatable end to end risk management solutions
- Strong understanding of corporate/business policies, and programs
- Demonstrated professional ability that embodies the Wells Fargo Vision and Values and leadership competencies
- Proven ability to scope, manage and execute complex risk management initiatives with high quality and timely delivery
- Flexibility and business savvy to navigate a complex, highly-matrixed organization
- Experience providing reporting and updates to senior-level management
Leadership Expectations at Wells Fargo
As a Team Member manager, you are expected to achieve success by leading yourself, your team, and the business. Specifically you will:
- Lead your team with integrity and create an environment where your team members feel included, valued, and supported to do work that energizes them.
- Accomplish management responsibilities which include sourcing and hiring talented team members, providing ongoing coaching and feedback, recognizing and developing team members, identifying and managing risks, and completing daily management tasks.
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by applicable law. We comply with all applicable laws in every jurisdiction in which we operate.