Sustainability Manager, European Real Estate
About the opportunity Purpose of the Role
This role will be a pivotal 'ESG' role in Fidelity's real estate investment team and will be a pan European role covering the UK and continental Europe (the team has a diversified portfolio of over €2 billion invested in the UK, France, Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg). A strong foundation is already in place, with key policies and targets established, and good improvements in GRESB (Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark) scores achieved over the past 3 years. The purpose of the role is therefore to take the team's real estate sustainability strategy to the next level, establish new targets and policies where they are needed, lead the execution of the team's sustainability strategy across UK and continental European markets, work with the portfolio management team to enhance sustainability input to the acquisition and ongoing asset management of our portfolios and develop with the real estate senior management team the longer term vision for Fidelity's Real Estate Sustainability credentials. Outside of the real estate team, it will also be vital to liaise with Fidelity's ESG Team and work with them to ensure a consistent approach with Fidelity's wider corporate sustainability goals where appropriate. It is likely that the Real Estate ESG team will expand over time and so this candidate will have an opportunity to grow into a senior leadership role over the next few years. Key Responsibilities Leading and Improving All of Fidelity's Real Estate Sustainability Activities
Enhancing Sustainability Input into all Acquisition, Disposal and Ongoing Asset Management Activities
- In conjunction with the Real Estate Senior Management Team and, where appropriate, external ESG consultants, manage and develop the team's sustainability policies and strategy
- Be a member of the real estate Sustainability Steering Group (SSG)
- Run the real estate sustainability working group programme: schedule regular feedback sessions, track progress on key tasks, report on progress to the SSG
- Suggest and arrange suitable sustainability training for the real estate team
- Become SIERA (or similar alternative) power user and train other team members
- Regularly carry out analysis of competitors' sustainability progress and industry trends
- Create and/or contribute to regular Sustainability communication to all Fidelity stakeholders (e.g. newsletter, updates in team meetings)
- Be the first point of contact for Fidelity's Corporate ESG Team, ensuring consistency between Fidelity's broader corporate sustainability commitments with those of the Real Estate Investment Team
Managing & Improving External Relationships
- Work closely with portfolio managers and asset managers to ensure ESG considerations are appropriately addressed at point of acquisition and on an ongoing basis thereafter
- Be the owner of the Environmental Management System (EMS) framework and handbook, our policy and any other document reflecting current best practice. Manage the regular updating process of all those documents.
- Coordinate roll out of cross-jurisdiction sustainability initiatives together with respective asset managers / portfolio managers, for example smart / automatic meter readers roll out
- Devise strategies for tenant engagement to increase rates of data gathering across both Funds.
Support Client Communication, Client Solutions and Product Development
- Manage external consultant relationships (Evora, EnviroSustain) and screen the market for potential alternatives
- Manage GRESB process: analyse results, summarise improvement actions, manage data collection and submission process and track progress with asset managers / portfolio managers
Experience, Skills and Qualifications Required
- Contribute to improving sustainability related client proposals input and data
- Be first point of contact for all sustainability related client communication queries
- Contribute to the concept design for future sustainable / impact funds, assessing deliverable criteria, measurement capabilities and client reporting
- Draft annual sustainability reports for real estate funds for review by the portfolio manager
About you About Fidelity International
- Fluent in English and ideally at least one other of German, French or Dutch
- 3-5+ years experience of working in a sustainability-focused role within UK/continental European markets
- Experience in embedding a sustainability strategy into a real estate investment portfolio
- Strong understanding of the main challenges in sustainability strategy execution (process integration, data collection, bottom up engagement)
- Strong track record of "hands on" execution / implementation of sustainable improvements to properties and building systems
- Good skills and competence with Microsoft Office applications
- Proactive hands-on mentality / can-do attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to travel
Fidelity International offers investment solutions and services and retirement expertise to more than 2.5 million customers globally. As a privately held, purpose-driven company with a 50-year heritage, we think generationally and invest for the long term. Operating in more than 25 countries and with $739.9 billion in total assets, our clients range from central banks, sovereign wealth funds, large corporates, financial institutions, insurers and wealth managers, to private individuals.
Our Workplace & Personal Financial Health business provides individuals, advisers and employers with access to world-class investment choices, third-party solutions, administration services and pension guidance. Together with our Investment Solutions & Services business, we invest $567 billion on behalf of our clients. By combining our asset management expertise with our solutions for workplace and personal investing, we work together to build better financial futures.
Our clients come from all walks of life and so do we. We are proud of our inclusive culture and encourage applications from the widest mix of talent, whatever your age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, social background and more.
As a flexible employer, we trust our people to perform their role in the way that works best for them, our clients and our business. We are a disability-friendly company and would welcome a conversation with you if you feel you might benefit from any reasonable adjustments to perform to the best of your ability during the recruitment process and beyond. Data as at 31 March 2021. Read more at https://www.fidelityinternational.com/
Applying to this Job Role: Please note you are only required to upload your CV/Resume to the application screen.