Payroll Manager / Senior Budget Officer
- Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
- Temporary, Full time
- European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
- 03 Jan 18 2018-01-03
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations worldwide. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK) and Rome (Italy).
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 5 years
Grading: 6, 7 or 8; depending on qualification and experience
Closing Date: 31 January 2018
Reference Number: HD_01223
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Finance and key responsibilities are:
• Payroll management
- Coordination and management of all payroll activity covering German, French, Italian, Spanish and UK payrolls and administration of normal monthly payrolls (including month end consolidation and processing support as required).
- All payrolls are based on net to gross calculation methodologies.
- Checking and auditing of all payrolls, ensuring compliance with EMBL rules and regulations.
- Calculation, payment and reconciliation of internal tax.
- Liaison with management, staff and external bodies regarding payroll enquiries.
- Preparation and reconciliation of monthly General Ledger salary journals.
- Develop and maintain payroll reference manual.
- Annual update of salary rates, and other standing payroll data.
• Social Security
- Updating SAP for changes in EMBL’s internal social security and insurance schemes: pension, health insurance, unemployment insurance.
- Updating SAP for changes in German, UK and French social security schemes.
• Reporting and Project Work
- Leading the development and Delivery of all payroll based reporting, focussing on SAP
- Business Intelligence as the primary reporting tool and then other reporting tools as appropriate.
- Management of all EMBL Council reporting pertinent to the EMBL wide payroll.
- Establishment and management of the optimisation of payroll processes.
- Running and updating payroll planning information.
- Preparation of ad hoc reports as required.
- Testing payroll system upgrades.
In addition to payroll duties, the postholder will also work part time in the Budget Office and in that regard report to the Head of Budget Office. Tasks will be:
- Oversight and control of the financial management of a range of EMBL’s scientific research projects, including financial planning, budget preparation and monitoring expenditure against budget.
- Support of scientific and administrative staff in managing projects.
- Management of the entire timesheet process at EMBL, including control and posting of the monthly timesheet bookings, and addressing all other timesheet related issues.
- Effective risk management of compliance alongside supporting project managers with their financial administration of grants, preparation of financial reports and liaison with grant funding bodies.
- Support the Head of Budget Office in managing and developing of other Budget office staff.
- Management of cost centre master data, including creation, maintenance and control.
- Training and mentoring of junior Finance staff providing back up services.
Qualifications and Experience
- Educated to university level and/or demonstrated equivalent qualification by experience.
- Demonstrated payroll management experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the SAP payroll module, in particular the German country version.
Experience with the French and British country versions is a major advantage.
- Experience in net to gross payroll calculations of an international organisation would be an asset.
- Appropriate financial qualifications and an advanced knowledge of budgetary costing and management, preferably within public administration.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Ability to understand and apply internal rules and regulations, plus external national guidelines into compliant pay processing, as well as ability to create, review and supply policies and procedures.
- Excellent communication skills in a multi-national and cultural environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Very good problem solving, numerical and analytical skills.
- Ability to work flexibly and to tight deadlines.
- Customer service focus and proactive and forward thinking approach.
- Excellent written and spoken English and German language skills, knowledge of French is an advantage.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.