On site in Berlin or Cologne
SumUp enables businesses to get paid easily, process orders quickly, sell online instantly and manage their money more efficiently. We create the tools businesses need to make their business and their customer experience thrive! Becoming a part of the Global Bank Tribe at SumUp, means working alongside ~250 people with 32 nationalities across Cologne, Berlin, São Paulo, Santiago, Sofia and Vilnius who love to take ownership, work with purpose and help businesses thrive.
As a Senior Backend Engineer (Java/Kotlin)
in the Global Bank tribe , you'll play a key part in helping us build SumUp's own digital bank. Y
ou'll be responsible for supporting the transition from a localized setup with regional banks to a unified Global Bank. Join a global, autonomous, cross-functional team that takes an aspect of our product and perfect it from concept to execution. We are building our systems with event-driven microservices architecture. What you'll do
You'll be great for this role if
- Collaborate with other software developers, QAs, DevOps engineers, designers, product managers and other key stakeholders to design and implement backend services and APIs, clarify problems, outline opportunities, prototype solutions, ensure smooth deployment, continuous integration, and support existing functionalities
- Work in a global context with teams in Europe, the US and Latin America
- Provide comprehensive documentation and high test coverage
- Actively participate in selection of new tools, technologies and processes, code reviews and pair programming with other software engineers
- Help your team deliver business value by taking decisions related to the backend and actively participating in product discussions
- Build capabilities that bring value to millions of users
- Constantly adopt and actualize best practices with the team
Any of the following would be considered a plus
- You have professional experience as a Backend Engineer with JVM stack
- You have relevant experience with functional programming languages. Currently, our Tribe is using Kotlin & Java, Elixir, and Go
- You have an in-depth knowledge and experience with distributed microservice architecture and Restful APIs
- You feel comfortable working with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Proven experience in software architecture and application design, with a track record of making architectural decisions and a deep understanding of fundamental system architecture and API design (RESTful and event-driven services)
- You have experience with CI/CD products such as GitHub Actions, Jenkins, ArgoCD
- You love to mentor people and share knowledge
- You have solid debugging, optimization and problem-solving skills
- You have a passion to write clear, concise and testable code that your team can understand, maintain and improve
Why you should join SumUp
- Good understanding of modern cloud environments - AWS, Terraform, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- You have experience with event streaming platforms and messaging brokers such as Kafka and RabbitMQ
- University degree in Computer Science/Information Technology or a related field
- The opportunity to work on large scale fintech products used by millions of small businesses around the world
- Work on a high impact squad that is at the core of the Bank Tribe
- A dedicated annual Learning & Development budget for attending conferences and/or advancing your career through further education
- Enrollment onto our virtual stock ownership program - you will own a stake in SumUp's future success
- You'd enjoy other great location-tailored benefits
- You'll attend global offsites and/or hackathons.
- Join a truly global SumUp team of 3200+ people from 80+ countries, spread across 4 continents
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder's mentality and a 'team-first' attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Job Application Tip
We recognise that candidates feel they need to meet 100% of the job criteria in order to apply for a job. Please note that this is only a guide. If you don't tick every box, it's ok too because it means you have room to learn and develop your career at SumUp.