Legal Counsel, Retail Banking
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base. Scope of Role:
- To assist the Head of Legal, Retail Banking in managing the legal function, implementing and promoting policies designed to minimize legal risks, provide quality legal services to all internal clients and ensure effective management of all legal matters in China.
Our Ideal Candidate
- To negotiate, prepare, review and approve contracts, agreements and other legal documents
- To provide legal advice on matters where external advisors are not involved and manage external advisers in giving independent legal opinion/advice.
- To handle complaint cases and legal proceedings properly and cost-effectively with or without using external advisors to achieve maximum recovery or minimize the Bank's losses.
- To conduct legal research on specific legal issues, update local laws and regulations, and develop and provide appropriate training programs to enhance legal awareness.
- To ensure that products and services offered in China duly comply with local law and regulation.
- To provide legal assistance in ad hoc projects or other works assigned by Department Head from time to time
- To supervise and manage the staffs in the team and assist Head of Legal, Retail Banking in legal issues assigned by Head of Legal.
- To act as UORM for the team.
- Be a qualified lawyer in PRC or a PRC law degree holder with at least 6 years' working experience
- Have solid knowledge in banking and/or securities laws in PRC.
- Preferably have in-house experience in banks or other financial institutions, though private practice will also be considered;
- Preferably have experience in supervising staff
- Have strong presentation, leadership and interpersonal skills;
- Be able to work independently under minimum supervision;
- Be able to work under pressure; and
- Be fluent in English and Chinese(written and spoken ability)
- Team player
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.