- Beijing, Beijing Shi, China
- Permanent, Full time
General Manager - Moody’s Credit Ratings (China) Limited
Location: Beijing, Beijing Shi, ChinaThe Role
This is a senior leadership role within the Moody's Asia Pacific team reporting directly to the Regional Head of MIS, Asia Pacific, responsible for all aspects of Moody's domestic China rating agency operations. The incumbent will set and implement strategy for achieving revenue and profitability targets, as well as having general management and responsibilities for the entire operations.
The main responsibilities of the position are as follows:
- Propose, lead and execute strategies and provide leadership support the Regional Head of MIS relation to Moody's domestic China business and to ensure process and practices are compliance with Local regulations as well as Moody's global standard.
- Responsible for managing and developing employees and various business departments
- Expect to set and achieve challenging net sales and other business goals in conjunction with the leadership team in China and Country Manager, to implement a structured and monitored sales plan and to oversee new business relationships.
- Ability to work seamlessly with Moody's management counter-parts across Asia Pacific and globally is an essential aspect of the job requirements.
- Working as part of the Moody's global network including participating in off-sites, contributing to global initiatives
- Equally, effective cooperation and collaboration with other Moody's China entities is critical.
- Communicates effectively with direct business unit customers (e.g. Issuers, investors, intermediaries, internal clients and vendors), as well as to broader markets (e.g. About MCO).
- Develops and enhances relationship with external groups (e.g. Investors, regulators, intermediaries, affiliates and other market participants), finding common ground with a wide range of stakeholder
- Be a strategic partner to the APAC relationship management team to explore, identify and expand client relationships in the market.
- As a change agent leader to drive changes to cope with Moody's strategies.
- Represent Moody's in regulatory matters, public speaking and other business related function.
More specific responsibilities:
- Take overall responsibility for the performance of Moody's domestic China business, while at all times complying with the laws and regulations to which Moody's is subject in China, and for implementing and monitoring all internal rules, policies and procedures are in line with Moody's global standard. Moody's expects the GM to represent the Company in a way that inspires trust and respect from clients, regulators, staff and the broader community, as well as always acting with the highest level of integrity, ethics and positive behaviour.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to support Moody's domestic China business and its possible expansion, and diversification and client/asset retention strategy within China.
- Accelerate the growth of business in China by successfully closing opportunities already in the pipeline and by developing new business.
- Oversee all aspects of the day to day management of the China domestic operations, including maintaining strategic partnership with supporting function including Human Resources, Finance, Legal and Compliance, Company Secretarial, operations and system roles.
- Work together with Moody's regional/international resources, within Moody policies and procedures, to protect the integrity of the business in China.
- Be a spokesperson of Moody's domestic China operation and promote the brand in China to wider audience, ensuring proper market research, analysis of competition and identification of key prospects, and matching with their appropriate product needs, is effectively carried out.
- Coordinate with regional and global management in designing and executing marketing and growth plans for the business to ensure proper resources are allocated and information is shared appropriately.
- Managing and achieving competitive challenges to Moody's core ratings, research and analytics business effectively.
- Supports an environment of analytical rigor. Ensure that rating committees focus on critical risks. Ensure that rating committees are conducted in a manner that is open thorough and efficient.
- When required, negotiate investment management agreements and new account documents, in conjunction with the appropriate Moody's channel.
- As a change leader in driving changes to cope with MIS strategies into the operations includes both business and non-business related. Build and maintain a cohesive working environment and each personnel is coping with Moody's MIS competencies (i.e. Culture of Excellence attributes)
- Success will be measured by profitability of the business, sales volume and growth in the market (including activity levels and degree of penetration with key intermediaries/prospects), controlled diversification of products and services, maintenance of the balance between new asset acquisition and retention.
Moody's Credit Ratings (China) Limited
- It is imperative that the appointee has a proven record in business management. The individual must possess the combination of intellectual brainpower, appropriate academic background and depth of practical experience that will underpin an intimate understanding of the key drivers of institutional, wholesale and retail businesses. The appointed individual will have a superior capacity to initiate and cultivate business relationship, a proven record of winning mandates, excellent presentation and sophisticated communication skills.
- Ideally the incumbent will have an established network of relationships with retail platform gatekeepers and research houses and will have the stature, credibility and technical skills required to represent Moody's in the domestic market in a compelling and appropriate way.
- Experience in cultural integration is key.
- An intimate knowledge of financial products related to the credit rating business.
- Specific experience in sales and marketing, with demonstrable success in building a business, an instinct for anticipating market movements and skill in product positioning and creation of flexible marketing strategies.
The appointee must have:
- A Bachelor degree, preferably in business-related subject. An additional postgraduate qualification is strongly preferred.
- Wide and deep knowledge of China. The candidate will be fluent in Mandarin Chinese and English.
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant business experience with strong understanding of the credit markets and preferably with up-to-dated knowledge of potential opportunities available in China for CRA.
- Excellent understanding of Moody's services and products, contracts and general conduct of business.
- Demonstrated results in delivering entrepreneurial style and results-oriented targets.
- Ability to connect with clients and develop credibility with stakeholders and senior management.
- Driven to develop and leverage relationships internally in a matrix environment spanning multiple geographies.
- Ability to develop strategies and make decisions with less than complete information, surface and address conflict constructively.
- Ability to effectively and eloquently chair several meetings daily with clients across a large range of different profiles on short notice or preparation.
- Strong Project Management skills to skillfully juggle competing priorities and execute projects effectively (i.e., secure and organize resources, communicate deadlines and accountabilities, monitor progress).
- Very good communication skills.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills.
Leadership & Management Competencies:
- Highest standards of professional and personal integrity, combined with the sound judgment, maturity, perseverance and resilience of an effective business leader.
- Creates a work environment that fosters high levels of trust, ethical behavior, individual accountability, and teamwork.
- Outstanding leadership and communication skills. Capacity to act as the external face of the organization with clients, consultants, media, industry groups and competitors.
- The combination of superior intellect, conceptual ability and technical understanding that will build credibility at the most senior corporate level.
- Have a highly interactive, viable, positive and open style of managing and motivating people.
- As a senior business executive in China, he or she will stand as a role model, displaying strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills and embodying the core values of Moody's.
- Ability to influence and persuade appropriately to drive change.
Moody's is an essential component of the global capital markets, providing credit ratings, research, tools and analysis that contribute to transparent and integrated financial markets. Moody's Corporation (NYSE: MCO) is the parent company of Moody's Investors Service, which provides credit ratings and research covering debt instruments and securities, and Moody's Analytics, which offers leading-edge software, advisory services and research for credit and economic analysis and financial risk management. The Corporation, which reported revenue of $4.2 billion in 2017, employs approximately 11,900 people worldwide and maintains a presence in 41 countries. Further information is available at www.moodys.com.
Moody's is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Candidates for Moody's Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody's Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.