Visual Designer (12 Month Contract)
About Visual Design at RBC
Our goal is to become our industry's leader in exceptional digital experiences. To get there, we're putting strategy, research, design principles, and technical innovation at the center of everything we do.
But we need exceptional digital professionals to bring our process to life. Maybe you're that sort of person.
As a member of our team, you'll work with a close-knit and collaborative group of designers, researchers, and strategists, moving easily between big ideas and the little details that make them real.
You'll find yourself in a culture where designers feel included, valued, and heard; in a supportive environment surrounded by peers who exceed in their area of expertise. What will you do?
We want every point of contact with our RBC clients to feel important to them. That's where you come in.
You can instinctively weave iconography, typography, colour, space and texture together to simplify and improve how our customers navigate our products and services. You'll use your expertise to delight users with designs that inspire, engage and excite.
As a member of our team you'll be comfortable within agile team environments and an iterative process, you'll be collaborating with interdisciplinary team members and stakeholders as you analyze, design and convey your mobile and responsive design vision. A natural problem solver, communicator and facilitator, you'll be involved in every step of the process from idea generation to implementation. What you would work on: Visual Design Strategy
Visual Design Creation
- Provide guidance to team members with advice that improves their capabilities and brings about growth and development
- Understand visual-spatial displays, and use that understanding to improve user comprehension, and improve task performance
- Create visual components considering the broader context, to be used in multiple situations, to bring about efficiency and consistency
- Use dynamic visualizations to support analytic thinking with large data sets
- Lead visual design projects / group tasks
- Accurately estimate activities and timing and contributes to planning
- Facilitate ideation sessions and collaborative work activities
- Actively participate in product meetings and cross-functional collaboration
- Presents visual design work to more senior stakeholders
- Builds relationships with stakeholders and across teams
Research and Testing
- Use a comprehensive understanding of visual design theory, research data and best practices to inform design decisions
- Design high complexity visual artifacts for digital media (web or native app) to exchange information, elicit emotion and facilitate interaction
- Create complex low-fidelity sketches, hi-fidelity mock-ups and prototypes to communicate intent, or delivery specifications for development
- Create complex user flows and experience for inter-related complex flows
- Ensure visual displays, components, colour and type meet the specified accessibility requirements
- Facilitates design critique, evaluate visual designs for inclusivity and provide expert advice and guidance to cross-functional teams
- Contribute practical direction to the larger design team on RBC's visual communication standards, tools, channels, and processes
- Facilitate usability testing
- Actively contribute in user research discussions
- Participate in or initiate research activities
- Research visual design and communication strategies in the financial services sector and perform competitive audits pertinent to specific design or business goals
- Perform visual design audits where appropriate
- BA/BS degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), HCI, CS, or a related field or equivalent experience
- Portfolio that includes web and/or mobile design samples
- Solid knowledge of design tools (Sketch, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and presentation software) and principles (typography, grid systems, visual hierarchy, colour, white space, etc.)
- Understanding of responsive design
- Experience designing outstanding digital products and experiences
- Proven ability to communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale, all within a user-centered design process
- Able to prioritize and manage workload and meet critical project milestones and deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build good working relationships
- Knowledge and/or experience in the agile process