Senior DBA (for onsite Bahamas)
- Toronto, ON, Canada Toronto ON CA
- Permanent, Full time
- 13 Mar 18 2018-03-13
We are looking to hire a talented individual to be part of a team surrounding the acquisition and administration of financial reference and high-frequency tick data. This individual will be assuming full responsibility and ownership over our database system, with the expectation of providing technical expertise and support for all database clients. With real-world data happening 24/7 it is critical to have our development, test and production processes covered by high-quality oversight, control and continuous availability. This will include a wide range of activities ranging from maximizing uptime, data access support, performance turning, change management to troubleshooting.
I. Key Responsibilities and Competencies
- Take full ownership over database systems after a structured transition period involving existing DBA staff.
- Provide expert guidance and SQL knowledge to developers when they are designing data models and data access layers.
- Exert control over direct access to the database by developers, and be able to plan and implement a transition away from known anti-patterns.
- Support Integration Testing in the Software Development Life Cycle.
- Monitor, analyze daily operations, suggest and implement improvements.
- Designing database architecture.
- Planning and performing required backups and migrations.
- Act as a mentor within the Data team
- Actively take part in building a robust DataOps process.
- Use industry-standard tools and techniques to monitor our data environment.
- Build and maintain documentation on our data environment.
- Work with existing DBA staff to manage and provide after-hours support for critical core business processes that interface with the database.
II. Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in a technical discipline preferred.
- 5+ years in a database administrator role with MS SQL Server.
- Experience with Hadoop and/or temporal databases would be an asset.
- Domain knowledge of finance or trading would be a plus.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Excellent communication skills that facilitate teamwork and interaction with colleagues including strong stakeholder engagement.
- Good organizational skills.
- A strong drive for results and continual improvement.
III. Location and travel requirements
The Senior DBA will work primarily from The Bahamas headquarters.