Director & Operational Risk Officer, BMO Capital Markets
Provides oversight, monitoring and reporting on operational risks for a designated portfolio. Develops and monitors the operational management framework that includes the governance framework & practices leveraged across BMO to manage operational risks. Provides policies & standards, methodologies and controls that increase transparency, accuracy and consistency across groups. Works with stakeholders to implement the methodology, metrics and program standards for the assigned portfolio to ensure compliance as well as effective monitoring, timely reporting and identification of action plans.
- Manages people and leads a team capable of delivering the desired business results.
- Acts as a trusted advisor to senior leaders for making business decisions and implementing strategic initiatives.
- Develops an expert understanding of business/group challenges.
- Networks with industry contacts to gather competitive insights and best practices.
- Recommends measures to improve organizational effectiveness.
- May consult to or serve on various committees and task forces.
- Interprets new regulations and assesses impacts to the governance framework.
- Influences and negotiates to achieve business objectives.
- Identifies emerging issues and trends to inform decision-making.
- Recommends business priorities, advises on resource requirements and develops roadmap for strategic execution.
- Manages resources and leads the execution of strategic initiatives to deliver on business and financial goals.
- Measures the effectiveness of risk governance system and framework; recommends changes as required.
- Conducts independent analysis and assessment to resolve strategic issues.
- Leads the development and maintenance of the governance system and framework.
- Acts as the prime contact for internal/external stakeholder relationships, which may include regulators.
- Represents the model validation program / portfolio for internal/external regulatory audits and/or examinations.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Designs and produces regular and ad-hoc reports, and dashboards.
- Develops and manages comprehensive information management systems; designs and/or leads initiatives to improve processes, analysis and reporting.
- Defines business requirements for analytics & reporting to ensure data insights inform business decision making.
- Assesses and adapts existing operational programs; develops new capabilities to ensure ongoing success.
- Leads the execution of operational programs; assesses and adapts as needed to ensure quality of execution.
- Manages the review and sign-off process for relevant regulatory reporting.
- Leads and integrates the monitoring, measurement & reporting on the status of the operational risk governance program to internal & external stakeholders.
- Leads the management of governance meetings and maintenance of governing body mandates, oversight and approval guidelines.
- May provide specialized support for other internal and external regulatory requirements.
- Provides input into the planning and implementation of ongoing operational programs in support of the operational risk framework.
- Leads/participates in the design, implementation and management of core business/group processes.
- Administers and maintains operational risk program activities in adherence to all policies, procedures and established processes.
- Identifies potential risk situations/ impacts, and make recommendations or escalates to the manager, as per guidelines.
- Assists with the interpretation of new or changing regulations and assessing impacts to the governance frameworks.
- Develops and maintains in-depth knowledge of business and related risk management requirements and legislative/ regulatory directives and guidance.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders e.g. business stakeholders and Corporate Support Areas (CSAs) in providing 'second line of defense' operational risk management support.
- Analyzes data and information to provide insights and recommendations; includes identification of risk impacts for new processes and workflows related to initiatives.
- Monitors and tracks performance; addresses any issues.
- Coordinates and monitors the review and sign-off of attestations and reporting.
- Maintains tools and templates for operational risk programs (e.g., Risk Control Self Assessment (RCSA), Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) or regulatory compliance), as required.
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a senior specialist resource across BMO.
- Influences how teams/groups work together.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to multiple, interdependent, complex problems.
- Communicates abstract concepts in simple terms.
- Fosters strong internal and external networks and works with and across multiple teams to achieve business objectives.
- Anticipates trends and responds by implementing appropriate changes.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically 9+ years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expert knowledge operational risk management practices.
- Expert knowledge of the designated business / product portfolio.
- Expert knowledge of regulatory requirements.
- Expert knowledge of quantitative techniques and economic capital methodologies.
- Expert knowledge & experience with risk policy frameworks; quality control / testing frameworks.
- Seasoned expert with extensive industry knowledge.
- Technical leader viewed as a thought leader for innovation.
- Verbal & written communication skills - Expert.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - Expert.
- Influence skills - Expert.
- Collaboration & team skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration - Expert.
- Able to manage ambiguity.
- Data driven decision making - Expert.
We're here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do - helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future-the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we're changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.