Director, Head of Canada GBM AML Risk
Requisition ID: 67305
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off. Purpose
The Head of Canada, GBM AML Risk leads and oversees the AML risk for the GBM businesses in Canada. The Head supports the businesses with the understanding and management of these risks (product, customer, geography) and ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are executed / delivered in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.The Head is also required to provide effective challenge by the 2nd line of defense. This role will work with stakeholders from all three lines of defense, including GBM business units across various jurisdictions, 1A Client Onboarding, 1B Regulatory Operations and Controls, Global AML/ATF Program Office and FIUs. In addition to internal stakeholders, there will be expectations to engagement with external stakeholders such as regulators, appointed independent reviewers etc. Accountabilities
- Leads and drives a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Understand how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Builds a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
- Ensures the Canada AML/ATF program reflects the Enterprise Wide and GBM specific AML/ATF standards and local regulatory requirements. Includes working with the Business Line Support/Control functions in the implementation and resolution of all Canadian AML/ATF issues
- Executes and maintains AML/ATF compliance controls, and provides AML/ATF compliance expertise and support to the business and functional units that form the first line of defense. Includes challenging the Business' assessment of controls, and monitoring remediation plans for enhancement of controls
- Acts as a key resource to business stakeholders in advising on products, programs, services and business initiatives and works with internal and external stakeholders to determine that activities are permitted and that regulations associated with their delivery have been identified and are addressed. This includes reviewing and approval of Canadian New Initiative Risk Assessments (NIRAs) ensuring adequate controls are in place in support of AML risks.
- Assesses internal policies and procedures to determine appropriateness or identifies and remediate deficiencies or weaknesses in such materials.
- Provides regular status reports on AML/ATF compliance activities, initiatives and/or daily operational undertakings to country senior management and the SVP, Global Head of GBM AML Risk.
- Develops and analyzes AML/ATF MIS reporting to guide the business line in the development of first line Reviewing the business unit self-assessments and defining the overall AML/ATF profile.
- Provides oversight and coordination to the Canada AML Teams (1B functions).
- Ensure the Business is kept current on regulatory developments and best practices and processes/controls are updated accordingly.
Oversees any AML/ATF:
- Testing and quality assurance processes for Canada GBM AML Risk;
- AML training programs for Canada GBM, including staff, senior management and Board;
- KPIs for service vendors supporting AML Canada operations.
The role will support the SVP, Global Head of GBM AML Risk in oversighting and supporting the GBM AML programs in Canada. Education / Experience
- Ten plus years direct experience serving in an AML KYC Advisory role;
- Ten plus years of experience in AML/ATF compliance;
- Expert knowledge of the Global Banking and Markets and Banking businesses, products/services and the clients/markets that Scotiabank GBM serves;
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in business, related field or equivalent experience;
- ACAMS certification preferred but not required;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated leadership skills, maturity and judgement;
- Ability to influence without direct authority through gaining trust and respect;
- Strong communications, analytical, organizational, project management, and planning skills;
- Expert knowledge of AML/ATF regulatory requirements and expectations.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Risk Management, Manager, Developer, Law, QA, Finance, Management, Technology, Legal, Quality