Director, Engineering Operations - Platform Organization
Requisition ID: 78144
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As Scotiabank's engine of modernization, the PLATO platform enables technology teams to build software quickly and securely using modern practices. PLATO is an integrated set of technical capabilities, services and processes that encapsulate critical enterprise functions through standardization, re-use and automation.
The PLATO team is comprised of engineers, problem solvers, agilists and creatives in roles such as Enterprise Platform Engineering and Architecture, Enterprise Data Services, Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture, Product Engineering, and Product Management. Together, the team provides the platform that enables the Bank to deliver transformative experiences that help our 24 million customers become better off.
Interested in joining an agile team that's impacting change for our customers around the world? Watch our video Job Title:
Director, PLATO Engineering Operations
Job Family: Business Analysis
Job Code: DRBUSAN
Job Level: 9 Department:
Information Technology & Solutions Business Line:
PLATO Purpose of Job: The incumbent is responsible for the implementation, operations, management, and governance of a range of operational support functions in support of the PLATO engineering group in its design and development of business applications for the Bank. The incumbent works with PLATO engineering senior management, unit leaders, project leaders, and other areas of PLATO as well as other Bank support groups, external vendors, and internal business partners in the provision of efficient, effective, operational processes in support of the PLATO organization delivering business solutions to the Bank. Day-to-day operational processes implementation, management and governance are extremely complex in nature - involving multiple systems with multiple dependencies crossing diverse business units and/or geographies with the involvement of multiple stakeholders (business partners across the enterprise and other IT and support functions). The incumbent will effectively manage and supervise operational staff by setting performance expectations, monitoring performance, providing performance feedback including the preparation of performance appraisals, and as needed, providing counsel and coaching, and arranging for formal training. This includes succession planning and the recruiting of qualified staff. The incumbent will participate in long-range strategy planning and PLATO engineering roadmap alignment and management of policy development addressing complex operational issues and the strategic priorities. Specific Area of Operations:
PLATO Reporting Relationships
Senior Vice President - (PLATO Engineering)
Senior Manager(s), Manager(s), Major Accountabilities (for PLATO Engineering):
- implement financial management and governance processes
- provide ongoing reporting on budget/actuals/forecasts for PLATO
- review and approve all expenditures prior to commitments being made
- track and report on all variances related budget and forecasts
- Contract Management
- implement contract management and governance processes
- ensure that signed contracts/agreements are in place for all products and services prior to ordering products or onboarding resources/vendors
- ensure that signed contracts/agreements are stored in the appropriate applications/repositories
- provide oversight and notifications for all contract renewals
- Invoices and Payments Processing
- implement invoice and payments processing processes and governance
- implement and manage Invoice Management System
- ensure that all invoices are associated with signed contracts/agreements
- ensure that all invoices are coded and processed against correct transits and GL codes
- ensure that all accruals are identified and accounted for
- Resourcing Processes
- implement resource tracking/headcount and governance processes
- ensure that all headcount are monitored and reported, included approved additional headcount
- co-ordinate with IT&S Finance to ensure consistency in headcount tracking and reporting
- implement onboarding/offboarding and governance processes for all resources
- Audit Items Management
- implement Audit issues tracking, reporting and governance processes
- collect, track and report on all outstanding Audit issues
- co-ordinate with Audit issues owner to track and report on progress and status
- co-ordinate with Audit department on issues, status and clearance of Audit items
- IT Risk Items Management
- implement IT Risk issues tracking, reporting and governance processes
- collect, track and report on all outstanding IT Risk issues
- co-ordinate with risk issue owners to track and report on progress and status
- co-ordinate with IT&S Risk group on issues, status and clearance of risk items
- Management Processes Governance
- implement common management processes and governance across group
- track and report on compliance with required management processes, including:
- time sheet entry and approval
- regular group staff meetings
- regular individual staff meetings
- staff development plans
- regular Audit and IT Risk meetings
The incumbent must hold a relevant and recognized degree and proven experience with an emphasis on highly complex systems/operational initiatives.
The incumbent must have 10 to 15 years of IT and/or business industry work experience, which includes at least 3 years of experience in managing teams or projects, and extensive knowledge and experience with IT operation processes and governance.
The incumbent must have expertise in very complex operational and technical processes and their implications across the enterprise.
The incumbent must have expertise in project management disciplines/protocols.
The incumbent must have:
- Thorough knowledge of Bank processes.
- Thorough knowledge of Bank's major/key business units.
- Working knowledge of Bank accounting and budgetary process. Dimensions:
The incumbent is responsible for managing multiple complex operational processes, process governance and related systems. The incumbent is also responsible for the day to day management of operational staff potentially including numerous related projects. The incumbent is expected to identify strategies and objectives and act to implement them on his/her own initiative. The incumbent is guided by Bank policy and receives broad direction from the Senior Vice President. The incumbent is expected to function independently to ensure that the department's objectives are met. This will include operational processes responsible for approximately $50 million in PLATO engineering group spend and over 400 Bank employees and contingent staff. Working Conditions:
The position requires concentrated use of sight and touch at a computer terminal on average 3-4 hrs/day. The incumbent must work under tight deadlines, conflicting priorities and changing project requirements.
The incumbent must be able to react quickly to resolve problems and work exceptional hours on many occasions to meet deadlines or resolve issues. The incumbent must be available on short notice to supervise and guide staff when deadlines or issues require. The incumbent may be required to travel to remote locations several times per year and potentially for an extended period of time.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Operations Manager, Manager, Bank, Banking, Operations, Management, Finance