Based in Toronto, Canada and reporting to the Managing Director (MD), Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities, Capital Markets, the Director of Emerging Markets and Macro will be responsible for managing a fixed income emerging markets mandate with both beta and value-add activities.
Capital Markets manages Total Fund exposure to, and enhancement of, the equity, fixed income, credit, inflation sensitive and absolute return asset classes.
The Capital Markets team supports all of Ontario Teachers’ investment groups through asset class advisory and subject matter expertise in global liquid markets. Capital Markets is also responsible for executing on centralized trade strategy that allows the Fund to focus on the needs of today’s more sophisticated global trading environment and its increasing regulatory complexity.
Capital Markets consists of a team of over 80 professionals and is based in Toronto, Canada.
Emerging Markets and Macro “EM&M” manages and enhances Total Fund exposure to the fixed income emerging markets asset class along with absolute return strategies using global macro, fundamental, thematic and quantitative processes. The team is based in Toronto, Canada.
What you’ll do
- Develop and maintain the strategy and vision for the EM&M team
- Design a future-focused approach on how to achieve success
- Develop a structure and execution model within the team and align team members to deliver on this strategy
- Actively collaborate between the different groups in the Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities group for dynamic risk allocation
- Provide asset class and subject matter expertise to MD Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities, Head of Capital Markets, TFM & CIO
- Manage and contribute to successful value-add for the team
- Manage fixed income emerging market beta allocations and development/oversight of enhancements in order to successfully increase value
- Generate value add through liquid capital market strategies in emerging markets and through global macro strategies
- Drive generated value add through liquid capital market strategies, both as the leader of the EM&M team as well as independently
- Ensure effective governance of the Emerging Markets & Macro – Fixed Income & Currencies team, including decision rights, policies, procedures and controls
- Ensure regulatory compliance for emerging markets fixed income
- Become Total Fund and Capital Markets Emerging Markets & Macro key resource
- Represent both internally and externally as the department’s subject matter expert in emerging markets and global macro thinking for Ontario Teacher’s
- Provide emerging markets portfolio construction advice to MD Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities, Head of Capital Markets, TFM & CIO.
- Ensure cross-collaboration across the Capital Markets team to share knowledge and support the overall Capital Markets strategy
- Coaching and develop team members
- Build and develop expertise across the team to enhance risk taking
- Drive plans to develop talent, including career and succession planning, and cross-training
- Participate in investment planning and resource allocation for the Capital Markets team
What you’ll need
- Post graduate degree (Masters or PhD.)
- At least 12+ years with a proven and successful track record as a risk taker in the field
- Experience and ability to manage a team of seasoned investment professionals leveraging the skillset of the group to produce a meaningful impact to the investment performance of Capital markets and Total Fund
- A skilled and adept communicator
- Deep understanding of the complexity and sophistication of the competitive landscape in global emerging markets
- Skilled in interpreting and forecasting global macroeconomic develops and applying those insights to the financial markets
- Extensive knowledge of the emerging markets including specific country and financial markets knowledge
- Extensive experience applying and overseeing the application of a range of investment strategies (Macro, Fundamental, Quantitative, Thematic) to build and manage a diversified set of risk premiums and to pursue returns above benchmarks
What we're offering
- Bonus (Discretionary Pay for Performance)
- Other Benefits (Employee Assistance Program, New Hire Relocation)
- Medical Benefits
- Dental Benefits
- Disability Benefits
- Life Insurance Benefits
- Group Insurance Benefits
- Pension Benefits
- Vision Care Benefits
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflect and celebrate diversity of thought, background and experience.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today!
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected to continue will be contacted.