Development Lead (Payment Modernization)
The Development Lead is accountable for managing the analysis, design, development, implementation, and support of applications for BMO's payment modernization initiative.
- As a member of the Personal & Business Banking Technology team, you will be leading a team of development professionals in Toronto where you will be responsible for the development and support of the systems supporting BMO's Payments
- Significant leadership opportunity to work directly with our business partners and engage in delivering technology solutions and support.
- Diverse aspects for the role, including business partner relationship management, solution strategy and implementation, risk management, vendor management.
- Be a major contributor in building the new generation of Payments by participating in the nationwide Payment Modernization program
- Reviews and approves requirements and design and make sure it is in line with the bank approved solution Architecture.
- Acts as a thought leader in development, builds deeper relationships with key stakeholders, and demonstrates expert-level skills in coding across multiple languages, LOB's, and/or technology areas.
- Accountable for overall code quality, ensures code is reviewed, reusable and testable, meeting architectural-design and customer requirements.
- Leads workshops to develop solutions from a program perspective in association with all interdependent systems.
- Has expert knowledge to influence and set corporate direction for software development practice, concepts, technology and methodology.
- Assesses impact of design decisions to the computer solution/product/service being developed (performance, schedule, budget, downstream component/system impact, quality, etc.) and recommends alternate/creative solutions for mitigation/optimization if required.
- Leads / conducts detailed code-reviews and provides feedback in a constructive manner.
- Interacts with key business & technology stakeholders to define, analyze, and deliver requirements that reflect the needs of both the business and end-customers
- Decomposes business requirements and translate them into detailed design specifications and code
- Assesses the costs and benefits for different solutions and recommends / decides on appropriate designs
- Designs solutions, writes code, performs unit testing, develops appropriate artefacts / documentation, and facilitates final delivery
- Conceives and writes detailed software implementations/code while ensuring that their code/configurations adhere to the security, logging, error handling, and performance standards and non-functional requirements
- Builds solutions that are supportable, scalable and achieve our aspiration of common assets, use the enterprise monitoring/logging, require minimal to zero maintenance and are aligned with architectural patterns and technology strategy
- Devises new algorithms and data structures for target environment and platform attributes in alignment with architectural patterns
- Recommends or automates approaches to streamline and integrates technological processes and/or systems to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Supports production issues, including Independently completes root-cause analysis and diagnosis
- Evaluates new technologies for fit with the program/system/eco-system and the associated upstream and downstream impacts on process, data, risk (e.g., security).
- Works toward the objective of defect free software. Ensures that systems functionally meet requirements, aligns with architecture and promotes the development of common assets.
- Supports the resolution of production issues and problems. Makes recommendations to improve BMO processes & systems.
- Supports the management of specific project deliverables & outcomes, including managing small projects to completion, as required to deliver business objectives
- Identifies opportunities to strengthen the capability at BMO, such as: sharing expertise to promote technical development, mentoring employees, building communities of practice and networks across technology.
- Stays abreast of industry technical and business trends through participation in professional associations, practice communities & individual learning
We're here to help
- Generally, 10+ years of work experience in IT environment and BS/BA in computer science, engineering, information systems, math or business
- Expert level of knowledge in Java development, SQL, WAS
- Knowledge of software development practices, concepts, and technology
- Knowledge and experience with DevOp tools
- Experience with leading development teams (team of 4 or more)
- Knowledge of Banking business or Payments
- Understands core business processes and business requirements as well as the architecture patterns and technology strategy
- Understands the implications of various components (including technology strategy & architecture) to the overall design of a program, system, or eco-system
- Knowledge of technical/business environment and processes.
- Understands functional aspects and technical behavior of the underlying Linux Operating System, development environment, and deployment practices
- Have facility with and understanding of the ecosystem that code operates in
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do - helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future-the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we're changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network- building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.